4000T no signs of life

Jeddy

I guess I'm failing to find an existing thread, maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

Basically my 4000T appears dead - no lights or anything.

When we tried to use it first today it wasn't responding (no lights), after unplugging and back in (at back of unit) I initially got a red light which went to blue when I powered up (or is it the other way around) but it quickly went off again before it properly powered up. Now there are no signs of life.

Any suggestions for how to diagnose further and hopefully repair please?

Thanks

I'm not certain, but that sounds OK. Perhaps you could go in and find out whether that voltage is maintained when on load? Other than that, I doubt there's much to be done other than disconnecting the HDD to see what happens, and replacing every electrolytic capacitor you can find.

ok, I'll check that thanks.
I know the Fox T2 caps were so notorious for failing that a kit of replacement caps was produced (which I did on both T2s which are still working). I'm guessing similar wasn't done for the 4000, given that they've lasted 8yrs they seem to not be such a problem so I guess not. Just a shame the T2 was only 2 tuners otherwise I'd probably still be using them.

Removed the HDD and tried to power it up, 12.22V but no lights. There is a faint high pitched tone. Something inside appears to have gone bang I guess...

Probably watch too much tv.
Not necessarily. A lot of the better programmes are broadcast in the 8-10pm space - primetime - which means that there can be 3 or more programmes we want overlapping on some nights. Then there is nothing for a couple of nights.
Being able to record 4 at a time saves a lot of agro hunting for repeats or +1s (which are often SD).

Exactly that, it's not uncommon that we both want to watch a couple of programs each which are on at the same time. Usual story, not much on for most of the day but loads of interest on around 8pm. Could use the various players to a degree, except ITVx is unusable and C4 and C5 have ads which I prefer to skip over - turns a 60min program into a 40min watch.

we both want to watch a couple of programs each which are on at the same time.
We actually have two boxes - for historical reasons a Freeview (now an Aura) and a Freesat (now a new 4k with wideband LNC) which can both do 4x.
The Aura is 'her' box, which mainly records old detective progs (Vera, MM) on a sort of loop, along with sundry films, 'home' and travel programmes.
The Freesat is the joint/my box for everything else as most of my solo viewing is streamed. Despite that at least weekly both get to record 3 simultaneously and on one occasion she wanted 5, so one had to go on the satellite box. Of course she only watches about half of what she records and it's not unusual to find she has multiple copies of the same programme recorded months or years apart. :rolleyes:

Given that the 4000 appeared to be u/s and is 8yrs old I decided to bin it (annoying it had a few unwatched programs on) and bought an Aura. There really is no choice for a box with 3 tuners / record 4 progs now. Initially impressed. What I found surprising though is using my old Fox T2 as an emergency box while waiting for the Aura to arrive, how fast it is compared not only to the 4000 but even the Aura!
We tend to use just the one box for most of our recordings, some mine, some hers, most common viewing and 4 at once normally suffices. If we ever do need more it tends to be random programs rather than series so I'll either use catch-up for that or the Fox T2 if needed.
But I've just been adding series to the Aura and guess what, one for her was Professor T - doesn't yours watch that?
😁

Back