5000T just not making sense to me.

BarnyardA

Hi, We have a 5000T box with a software version 1.03.50.

There has recently been a channel added namely CH33 CCX TV, When selecting the channel through the televisions built in freeview it works no problem however when using the Humax it gives the message Channel Scrambled/Unavailable.

Does anyone else have this issue or a possible fix?
We have tried the obvious, reset, retune, all to no avail, any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

There has recently been a channel added namely CH33 CCX TV, When selecting the channel through the televisions built in freeview it works no problem however when using the Humax it gives the message Channel Scrambled/Unavailable.
Do you mean channel 23 (rather than 33)?
We have tried the obvious, reset, retune, all to no avail, any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!
Try another retune with SMART option not selected.

Assuming you are still having the problem when tuning in to channel 23 -
Are you finding that other channels on the Humax are giving the same message? In particular, 5USA (21), Drama (20), and Horror (70).

I have just experienced this problem for the first time tonight on my 5000T. When I switched from Freeview on my TV to the Humax to set up a recording I got the message "Channel Scrambled or Unavailable". So far I have only checked on BBC1, BBC2 and ITV and the error appears on all three. When you first select a channel the picture appears fine but after about 5 seconds the error message appears. Unfortunately I can't spend any more time on it tonight but will do a reset and retune tomorrow morning.

Don’t bother with a retune in the morning, it is unlikely to help. Anyway, when you switch on again it will probably be fine.

Noting that the OP never came back to further discuss the issue, we have to presume the problem was temporary (otherwise he/she would have been back).

With all electronic equipment, the standard advice applies: "have you tried turning it off and on again" (and "off" means really off, ie no power supplied at all - "standby" doesn't count). This cures cases of temporary misoperation when the cause is not external.

Just to enlarge on A1944's advice above. If you retune, it will first clear the tuning database, thus deleting all stored programmes, then do a retune. If the signal is dodgy, then the programmes will still not be 'tuned in', thus you will be no better off and the programme will not come back of its own accord. Yet another retune when you have sorted out the signal will be required.
In fact, retuning with a dodgy signal will actually make things worse and fault finding more difficult.

Noting that the OP never came back to further discuss the issue, we have to presume the problem was temporary (otherwise he/she would have been back).
Another possibility is that BarnyardA received a notification and then mistakenly replied to the notification instead of visiting the forum to reply.

Mine seems fine now after powering it off this morning for an hour or so and then back on again. Very frustrating though. Thanks for the replies.

I have found that a few seconds work most of the time (when a mains toggle IS going to 'fix' it)

The length of time required is a matter of experience with a particular model (however long a power interruption is necessary for the internal power rails to drop and ensure a controlled start-up when the power is restored). Unless the PSU is massively over-specified for the power demand (or unless it is intended to survive a btown-out - which would be unusual for consumer electronics), the briefest power interruption is usually sufficient. That means removing external power, not just telling the unit to come to a controlled shutdown (which can take some time, and won't be effective if it has already crashed/frozen).

There is a good reason not to give it an extended power-off: letting the unit relax (voltage/temperature) will confuse the symptoms of a random software glitch with the more serious concerns of a temperature- or voltage-related fault.

Back