A New Wiki Firmware Download Page

Ezra Pound

As you know the Firmware download page on the Wiki can only be edited by af123, however I would be prepared to re-create this Wiki page so that new links could be inserted, however what I would need is a new website that would host the files that does not require you to log in, register etc. and does not bombard you with advertising something like this maybe ?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2aadc80qiivlreg/HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13.zip/file
For now only the files that appear on the original Wiki Firmware page (with SHA1 checksums) would be placed on this new page, any Ideas?

Sounds like a good idea but in the longer term it might be an idea to also create a clone of the main and beta software repositories so that we can avoid the backlogs in package updates caused by @af123's absence. This would also require an update to opkg to look for additional repositories but should not be a major problem

We could still use Google drive - the problems were caused by a security upgrade invalidating older shared links. There shouldn't be a problem with new shared links

Last edited:
It is a pity that af123 is largely unavailable. I gather that he has been / is very ill. So, much sympathy, but it shows very poor project management that control of the above and more was not also delegated long ago to a few trusted and competent people. If a project is to survive and prosper nobody should be indispensable.*

MymsMan raised this issue more politely over a year ago.

I am so pleased that you are back and hopefully will soon be back to normal, it must have been a tough period for you,
We have all learnt how much we rely on you on a day to day basis to keep everything running smoothly.

Without wishing to be morbid none of us is immortal and your absence focussed our minds on how dependent we are on a single key person for not just the forums but the Git and package repositories, RS infrastructure, domains and site hosting and a whole lot more.
I hope that you already have plans in place to ensure that your work can continue should anything drastic happen.
I and, I am sure, many of the forum regulars would be willing to assist in any way possible to help share your workload and by doing so increase the resilience of the humax CF ecosystem.

* long ago I was in the unfortunate** and stressful position of being indispensable.
My boss had pleaded several times with his boss (^2) and his boss (^3) for an assistant / trainee for me and been rebuffed.
One day boss^4 (or higher) visited and was taken round like royalty to be introduced to the workers.
My boss introduced me with: "This is aw1 who is indispensable."
Boss^4: "What do you do when he goes on holiday?"
Boss: "I go on holiday too."
Boss^4 paused then laughed, Bosses ^2 and ^3 glared.
2 weeks later I gained an assistant.

** I had already experienced the old saw of "Do not be indispensable because you cannot be promoted", by not being shortlisted for a promotion into another role which I could perform well because I was too valuable where I was.

it might be an idea to also create a clone of the main and beta software repositories...
This would also require an update to opkg to look for additional repositories but should not be a major problem
I've already done all that on my own local server.

No, because it's local (an Ubuntu VM on my PC) and I only have 1Mb/s of upstream bandwidth. But it proves the principle, to my boxes at least.

Oh, you mean this:
By Sharing Content, you grant Oracle a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive, fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, broadcast, transmit and distribute the Content for any purpose and in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed.
That doesn't sound unusual when it comes to "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

I have some (paid for) web space, if that's of interest. It wouldn't take much to set up an access mechanism, I already park random files there for handy roaming access (security is simply unguessable URLs). Maybe a front-end web page which can somehow validate and log accesses? That's a bit above my pay grade.

With many thanks to @MartinLiddle for providing the server space, there is now a new Firmware Downloads Wiki Page :-

It does need more files to be added to it though :-

Back