After 5 Months with CF, Removing for a While

Newcoppiceman

Back in November 2023 I installed CF 1.03.12 - 3.13 on our HDR-FOX T2. In practice, I've not made much use of it, although the ability to single-step frames with the transportx package has been a very useful feature.

Prior to this, and after almost ten years on 1.03.12, the only issue we'd identified (other than the very occasional for-no-apparent-reason crash) was a roughly 5% chance of causing a crash by moving files between folders while the PVR was recording.

For whatever reason, we have lived with a markedly increased probability of crashes since installing the CF - but only at startup (and sometimes more than once) after the picture freezes and the PVR display shows a countdown to an imminent reboot. This has usually, but not always, required the transportx package to be reinstalled. Once up-and-running the PVR is stable.

This isn't a complete show-stopper but I thought I'd revert to the Humax 1.03.12 firmware for a few months to compare behaviour and just wanted to check that the latest state of knowledge is as per:

the Prepare for Return to Manufacturer (RMA) section in particular and the installation of the System Flush Update File.

Just to be sure, is it the case that performing the RMA procedure, installing the Humax firmware and then installing the System Flush will not affect our recordings?

Last edited:
For info, crash.log for March and April:

101Humax crashed at Fri Apr 19 11:56:52 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 33
100Humax crashed at Thu Apr 11 13:26:22 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 44
99Humax crashed at Wed Apr 10 17:25:22 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 33
98Humax crashed at Sun Apr 7 17:10:13 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 30
97Humax crashed at Fri Apr 5 16:39:37 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 43
96Humax crashed at Thu Apr 4 03:19:31 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 29
95Humax crashed at Sun Mar 31 12:04:42 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 31
94Humax crashed at Tue Mar 19 04:43:14 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 31
93Humax crashed at Thu Mar 7 17:04:11 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 32
92Humax crashed at Sat Mar 2 06:59:21 UTC 2024 - Uptime: 32
91 ... view the crash.log for more details.
90Your Humax crashed and some packages have been disabled as a precaution.
89 ... disabled plugins ...

we have lived with a markedly increased probability of crashes since installing the CF
According to configuration, the CF can do more network stuff than the standard unit. Unreliable networking is a significant cause of crashes.

but only at startup
I can't explain that though, this might prove to be unchanged by removing CF. You can test whether these crashes are network related simply by removing the network!

Have you looked here?: Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues

I installed CF... In practice, I've not made much use of it
Really? Not even fan??? Talk about leading a horse to water!

Just to be sure, is it the case that performing the RMA procedure, installing the Humax firmware and then installing the System Flush will not affect our recordings?
Of course not.

I was never aware of the system flush being part of the RMA, but in any case RMA was about purging everything CF related in case the unit was being sent back to Humax under warranty. All you really need to do so that CF stops running is flash 1.03.12.

Did you try running fix-flash-packages (or whatever it's called) first?
No. I manually reinstalled the transportx package, but had to do something else first before I could do this (maybe remove all packages). Interestingly, recent crashes haven't disabled the package.

According to configuration, the CF can do more network stuff than the standard unit. Unreliable networking is a significant cause of crashes.
Network working fine with other devices. The PVR, with its WiFi dongle, is immediately below the BT Smart Hub, which is in a bedside cabinet in the room above.
I can't explain that though, this might prove to be unchanged by removing CF. You can test whether these crashes are network related simply by removing the network!
Might try this for a month or two as we're not desperate to ditch CF.
I'm sure I have previously, but will review.
Really? Not even fan??? Talk about leading a horse to water!
Neigh - sorry, nay (and thrice nay?) - not even fan. We've never had fan noise or overheat problems, perhaps because the PVR is installed in a well-ventilated cabinet (see pic). I've often explored the web interface but have only ever installed tranportx. Maybe I'm missing the magic, but our use of the PVR is "plain vanilla"; we record programmes, move files between folders to manage things, watch the programmes, then (usually) delete them. Our 500GB drive is normally about 40% full (except when snooker doubles this figure).
Of course not.
Good.
I was never aware of the system flush being part of the RMA, but in any case RMA was about purging everything CF related in case the unit was being sent back to Humax under warranty. All you really need to do so that CF stops running is flash 1.03.12.
Yes, might do this after running sans network for a while. See pic re system flush.

Attachments

• DSCF0834.JPG
    DSCF0834.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20 April 2024.jpg
    20 April 2024.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 11
We've never had fan noise or overheat problems, perhaps because the PVR is installed in a well-ventilated cabinet (see pic).
You are missing the point on that one.

The standard fan behaviour cycles the internal temperature between extremes, whereas the fan package stops the fan turning off entirely and stabilises the internal temperature. I'm sure you appreciate the value of that. sysmon provides monitoing, you can see for yourself.

I'm sure we could find other things the CF can do for you, it's just a question of spotting the things you find inconvenient but dismiss (such as, perhaps, fast-forwarding through advetrs).

Re RMA: I've never actually done that (no need) so never seen that message. As I said, the intention is to wipe every trace so CF would be undetectable even under detailed examination, and it isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Network working fine with other devices. The PVR, with its WiFi dongle, is immediately below the BT Smart Hub, which is in a bedside cabinet in the room above.
The issue with networking isn't signal related; it is believed that the Humax code isn't good at handling network errors which then leads to crashes. I would be a be a bit surprised if it was happening at startup though.

sysmon provides monitoing, you can see for yourself.
I will check. Perhaps the free flow of air into our PVR's underside, thanks to my MDF wizardry, means the fan has an easier life.
I'm sure we could find other things the CF can do for you, it's just a question of spotting the things you find inconvenient but dismiss (such as, perhaps, fast-forwarding through advetrs).
We use the +2m/-15s skips for that but would have investigated better options (and probably other things) were it not for the crashes.

Something else which results in crashes is conflicts with other DLNA servers on the network. We have a fix for that.

Not sure if this is typical but here's what our PVR does. The range is 48C to 55C so I'm not sure there's a problem to solve. Having the fan on permanently runs the risk of its premature failure - but if that significantly reduces the temperature of the HDD (and inside the box generally) that might be worthwhile in terms of slowing HDD/component ageing (in particular, electrolytics).

Attachments

• 20 April 2024 (2).jpg
    20 April 2024 (2).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4
Having the fan on permanently runs the risk of its premature failure
But with the fan package it can usually be running at about 40-50% power, so it's life will be very long.
The corresponding reduction of heat and temperature variation in the HDD, etc, is the upside.
If it does fail the fan is also a much cheaper and easier thing to change than anything else in the box.

Having the fan on permanently runs the risk of its premature failure
Let me see... three units running pretty much 24/7 over the past decade+, plus another couple in the field... never once have I replaced a fan (nor a HDD, come to that). Fans have a single moving part, on magnetic bearings, with a solid state driver creating a rotating magnetic field to spin the rotor. They're as reliable as a mechanical thing can possibly be, and just need occasional cleaning (instructions in my strip-down guide).

The VFDs are getting rather faint though, even with the orange filter removed!

Last edited:
Good arguments re the fan package. Our PVR has been in service for 12+ years, still with its original fan and HDD (but with a replacement 4u7, of course). I have a couple of working spare units in case I need to raid for parts. However, an academic argument for me if I end up removing CF because of the startup crashes. Next step: run with no network connection for a month, starting 1st May.

The longevity of those VFDs has actually been very good - certainly compared to some other products I've encountered (I had to change one in a Teac DR-H300DAB receiver after about 5 years due to fade.

Nah, buggering around is how you learn things! The PVR is still serviceable and without introducing potentially more variables (and moving media around) it makes far more sense to wind back (in stages) to pre-November 2023, ie before I installed CF, up to which point the PVR had behaved itself impeccably as per para 2 of my original post.

I think your advice (which is always gratefully received) falls into the same category as https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/faul...tion-problems-on-some-muxes.11086/post-170171 which I likewise declined.

We'll see what happens in May when I diss the network.

Back