ALERT – New Registrations

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I've just noticed an alarming number of unfamiliar user names browsing the forum. I think there might have been some kind of bot attack creating sign-ups.

Or maybe not. I can't get a coordinated list of recent signups, but there doesn't seem to have been a spike after all.

The vast majority of these are flagged by the forum software for Admin approval. I am currently processing them as they come in, as many as 40 per day.
They are checked via the Stop Forum Spam website, this checks I.P. addresses, usernames, and email addresses, and reports the number of hits.

The forum currently has more than 22400 registrations, but only 8525 members. The rest have been processed by the forum Spam system.

I've just noticed an alarming number of unfamiliar user names browsing the forum. I think there might have been some kind of bot attack creating sign-ups.
Now that you mention it, I had a look - not obvious on mobile devices as currently on-line is at bottom of page and who bothers to read that far? Not me! At least three of the unfamiliar names, when I looked, registered on the same day and formatted their name in the same way. It does look odd, but who knows? I don't!

I am currently processing them as they come in, as many as 40 per day.
Thanks for your continued effort. It's easy to forget there are people behind the scenes keeping forums running in their own free time but out of the public eye.

Now that you mention it, I had a look - not obvious on mobile devices as currently on-line is at bottom of page and who bothers to read that far? Not me! At least three of the unfamiliar names, when I looked, registered on the same day. It does look odd, but who knows? I don't!
The list was much longer than this a few minutes ago:
1717664095029.png
...although the Total was about the same. Then there are those who have it in settings not to announce their presence.

There are a large number of members with zero posts, and I wonder why anyone would sign up to a forum which grants open read access unless they want to post!

I wonder why anyone would sign up to a forum which grants open read access unless they want to post!
Yes you can read as a guest until you want to ask a question. I've a feeling I might have lurked first as a guest, then as a signed up member, before my first post. I can't remember for certain.
Then there are those who have it in settings not to announce their presence.
That'll be you and me (or is it I?) for starters

It seems to be a regular thing, plenty have been able to join I think. The names are usually a clue to being bogus, many have a soviet hint in them. Since I reported this happening months ago I have been keeping an eye on the "Members online" box and if I see a dodgy looking name hovering on it usually shows it is a newish account and their last activity was viewing members ( Could that help to pin down those that slipped through the net ?).

Last edited:
I've a feeling I might have lurked first as a guest, then as a signed up member, before my first post.
I did the opposite, as you don't have the benefit of keeping track of what you've already seen without logging in.
That'll be you and me (or is it I?) for starters
Would you say "That'll be I for starters" or "That'll be me for starters" ?
Therein lies your answer. It's pretty easy.

It's pretty easy.
I've been writing emails recently to other people referring to my wife and [I/me] in various contexts and it really isn't that easy for mere mortals.
I actually did think "WTF should I use?" but gave up trying.
I've no idea if I got it right or if the recipients would know or give a damn.
ElsaSeriously.jpg

it really isn't that easy for mere mortals
It really is. You just take the other person out and it becomes much clearer how to structure things. The same applies with he/she/his/him/us/we etc.
"Me and my wife are going to the cinema" -> "Me is going to the cinema" ->
"I am going to the cinema" -> "My wife and I are going to the cinema"
Adapt as required.

I said much the same thing but just got a push back!
Sorry, just ticked the like to say I'd HUA.
Same thing applies ... By the time I'm faced with the choice again I'll have forgotten the rules, so it'll be a case of being bothered or not.

The vast majority of these are flagged by the forum software for Admin approval. I am currently processing them as they come in, as many as 40 per day.
They are checked via the Stop Forum Spam website, this checks I.P. addresses, usernames, and email addresses, and reports the number of hits.

The forum currently has more than 22400 registrations, but only 8525 members. The rest have been processed by the forum Spam system.
One week later, and we are now up to 22700 registrations, and 8528 members.

Back