Alternative browsers for iOS

I have just had a quick look at it on the App Store and it looks OK, but I think that I will stick with Mercury for the time being.

I sometimes use AtomicWeb when I want to spoof the browser type. Looking quite dated now though but still pretty good and lots of features.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

Can anyone recommend a flash player I can embed in a browser? I tried to watch the webcam on Danny Baker's show this morning and all four browsers (Safari, chrome, Mercury & iCabMobile) asked me to install both java and flash.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Can anyone recommend a flash player I can embed in a browser? I tried to watch the webcam on Danny Baker's show this morning and all four browsers (Safari, chrome, Mercury & iCabMobile) asked me to install both java and flash.

There is no Java for Android as far as I am aware.

You can download Flash and install it. Google Android flash player. Then use Firefox and enable Flash in its settings. I think you can also do this for Dolphin.

If the request is for a flash player for Andriod, I think the point is that Flash has been withdrawn from the Google market place (now called Google Play store), it is however available from non Google sites. Info. HERE

There is no Java for Android as far as I am aware.

You can download Flash and install it. Google Android flash player. Then use Firefox and enable Flash in its settings. I think you can also do this for Dolphin.
If the request is for a flash player for Andriod, I think the point is that Flash has been withdrawn from the Google market place (now called Google Play store), it is however available from non Google sites. Info. HERE
But 4ndy was asking about iOS.

If the request is for iOS, Apple is famously anti-Flash on the basis that it is insecure. Video sites that may present Flash to a PC browser, which still work on iPad, are detecting the user agent for iOS and presenting the video as HTML5 instead. Use Mercury with the PC/Chrome user agent, and video that works in Safari just sits there.

There is a bookmark trick which uses some JavaScript to divert the video through an external re-rendering web service, I think it was mentioned on this forum somewhere, but this redirection could also be considered insecure.

I believe there is a browser for iOS with Flash support built in, but I have never tried it. It would need to send an appropriate user agent, because some sites might detect the iOS user agent and just say "sorry, can't do it".

Can't find it on the forum.

Here is the content of my Safari bookmark "iOSFlashVideo":
Code:
javascript:h=document.getElementsByTagName('head')%5B0%5D;if(!h)h=document.getElementsByTagName('body')%5B0%5D.appendChild(document.createElement('head'));h.appendChild(document.createElement('script')).src='http://iosflashvideo.fw.hu/iosflashvideo.php?r='+Math.random();void(0);

Here are instructions how to make it:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/12/...hout-jailbreaking-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch.html

Alternatively just copy&paste the code into a bookmark. When you get a Flash video, click the bookmark.

"Sent from my GT-I9505"

Was that clear?

Mind you, Apple is anti-Java as well as anti-Flash, in fact anti-anything-non-Apple.

Also, to run Flash, you don't necessarily need a browser or a user agent.
Yes, it was very clear if you read this thread.;)

Thank you all for your useful comments. I will experiment with them when I get a chance.

Apologies for the confusion caused by posting from an android phone. I have two new toys I am trying to get to grips with. I can confirm that it was an ios query.

In fact it's now three new toys, as I just got a youview box from BT. First impression; not a patch on the HDR.

In fact it's now three new toys, as I just got a youview box from BT. First impression; not a patch on the HDR.

I like the YouView guide more, and having all the catch-up services, too. Also, being able to (almost) immediately set a recording remotely using my phone or tablet. (But why not a PC???)

Anyway, as it's iOS you were talking about, as you probably gathered, Mr Jobs banned you from using Java and Flash. After that, Adobe seemed to go into meltdown and said they would abandon Flash development even though no alternatives were immediately available.

Here is an article on Flash on iOS:

http://mobiledevicesalon.blogspot.c...os-6-top-browsers-support-flash-for-ios6.html

The only one I have tried on Android was Photon and it hung horribly. No doubt Apple will do their best to stop them all working on their upcoming iOS7.

Back