Alternative PVRs to Fox T2?

geordie

I have a Fox T2 with the customised firmware and I am having a few problems with the physical box rebooting randomly and I was thinking about moving onto another model.

Just wondering if people would recommend other newer models? I transfer some recordings to USB and NAS, and watch recordings on the Humax through VLC sometimes. So if something can do that, it would be good. If you do have a recommendation, have you used a Fox T2 and can say the pro/con of your new model?

Your biggest problem with another consumer item is the export. PVRs are pretty well locked down these days so they will usually export, but only StDef (and I'm not sure the Aura even manages StDef).

Streaming similarly, because VLC isn't going to be able to provide the credentials to persuade a DNLA server to cough up HiDef.

There are forum sections where you can get details about Humax FVP-5000T and Aura (which I believe are the only current models), but my recommendation remains to scour eBay and other sources for a second hand HDR-FOX.

Alternatively, see here: DIY PVR Building

Your biggest problem with another consumer item is the export. PVRs are pretty well locked down these days so they will usually export, but only StDef (and I'm not sure the Aura even manages StDef).
The Aura will export both SD and HD content. However HD content is transcoded down to SD resolution when exported.

Back