Any info on crashes/reboots?

lstar337

Can the CF give any information on what caused a crash/reboot?

I have a box which crashes/reboots maybe 30secs to a minute after being brought out of standby.
This is a bedroom box and is usually only woken up when we go to bed at about 10pm.

This hadn't bothered me much until a scheduled recording started taking place from 10pm - 11pm. Now every time we go to bed we break the recording.
I don't know what is causing the crash, so I'm trying to find out.

I have seen suggestions for the network connection, so I am going to try removing that temporarily and see if the crashing stops, but currently I have the box open in front of me to see if I can see any glaring hardware issues.
First observations are that it is at least clean and dust free inside.
The heatsink on the CPU looks like rubbish (just a bent piece of ally) and it's hovering at 66c (but I don't know where it should be).
The PSU caps are not leaking, though I haven't removed them to see if they are still within tolerance.
I am unsure of the HDD's status, but I'm coppying everything off of it so further checking can be done.

Are there any further steps I should take?

If you install the crashdiag package (and reboot to activate it) it will then log some information following a crash that can be retrieved using the crashdiag diagnostic after the fact. That shows where in the code the crash occurred and can sometimes hint at the underlying cause.

But many Humax hangs and crashes unfortunately do not cause diagnostic dump to be taken :(
Capturing diagnostics from failing systems is very hard to do.

What level of custom firmware do you have installed? it should be 3.13 with webif 1.4.4-10
Do you have any DLNA servers on your network? Do you have the dlna-filter package installed to prevent then crashing the system?
Do you have the fan package to keep the fan running at a constant rate?

What level of custom firmware do you have installed? it should be 3.13 with webif 1.4.4-10
Yes, all up to date.

Do you have any DLNA servers on your network?
Yes.

Do you have the dlna-filter package installed to prevent then crashing the system?
No, I don't. I will get this installed. Thanks.

Do you have the fan package to keep the fan running at a constant rate?
I do as of a few minutes ago. It's set at 50% and the CPU is at 69.8c playing an HD file. This is measured with a FLUKE temp monitor and probe with the case on.

What temp is the HDD as that's what Humax monitors and use to switch the fan on/off?

I don't know what is causing the crash, so I'm trying to find out.
The diagnostic steps are here:

Even if you locate the code where it crashed, chances are there's nothing we can do about it other than take the defensive measures in the above link.

I have a box which crashes/reboots maybe 30secs to a minute after being brought out of standby.
This is a bedroom box and is usually only woken up when we go to bed at about 10pm.

To me this implies the system is able to record normally in half awake state but that it only crashes when brought out of standby to watch programmes.
This is when the DLNA server is started so the first port of call is to configure the dlna-filter package and see whether that make s adifference.

I agree, but rather than shoot at a moving target see if unplugging the network stops the crashes first.

To me this implies the system is able to record normally in half awake state but that it only crashes when brought out of standby to watch programmes.
Exactly that.
This is when the DLNA server is started so the first port of call is to configure the dlna-filter package and see whether that make s adifference.
Yeah, I read about this DLNA issue elsewhere, and I think that could be it. I have installed the package, so I'll see how that helps.

Certainly, recordings done in the background are fine. No issues there at all.

I agree, but rather than shoot at a moving target see if unplugging the network stops the crashes first.

I'll do this for a few days. I'm only using the network for the WebIF anyway.

Just as a test, if I boot the box without the cable in, then see if its stable for a few minutes, then push the cable in, is it likely to crash?

Yay!

So I tried the above and its completely repeatable.

I booted the box (no network cable) and made a short 5min recording. I then rebooted and brought the box out of standby and no crash. I inserted the cable and a few seconds later the box crashed and rebooted itself. I repeated this 3 times and got the same result each time.

So I installed the dlna filter package, and repeated the same steps. No crash. I think it is safe to say that this was the issue.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions that lead to this result. Much appreciated!

Back