auto-shrink error 'child killed by signal SIGSEGV'

rodp

HI All,

My box crashed today a short while ago (I'm used to the occasional crashing as it has various MP4 files on it and DNLA comms through my network which just makes if freeze with no error) but this time an error actually showed up on Webif which I thought I'd post to see if anyone can shine any light on it.

03/05/2022 16:03:50 - /mnt/hd2/My Video/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated_20220503_1528 - auto-shrink - error child killed by signal SIGSEGV.

I've checked that my son is still alive - yes he is!! phew!! :thumbsup: Might see if Scooby Doo can get to the bottom of it if no answer here!! ;);)

Thanks

Rodp

The diagnostic comes from /mod/webif/lib/auto/plugin/shrink/queue.hook l.67.

Apparently stripts is crashing. You could try running this manually at the command line:
Code:
/mod/bin/stripts '/mnt/hd2/My Video/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated_20220503_1528' /mod/tmp

Will it crash again if I run /mod/bin/stripts...
if it does crash what do I do?
if it doesn't crash what does that mean?

Thanks

Rodp

Will it crash again if I run /mod/bin/stripts...
Probably, hopefully, but running on the command line might provide more info.

if it does crash what do I do?
My suspicion is that a bug is being triggered by malformed data, unless perhaps the process is running out of RAM. You could try invoking swapper.

if it doesn't crash what does that mean?
Then we have to investigate why a different way of invoking the same command results in success.

Reactions: /df
The box had crashed again today when I came to do the test (no messages - again suspect mp4 files somewhere - rather annoying!)

Anyway - I power cycled it and found that my son had already watched and deleted said program so I moved it back to the normal folder from the [deleted items] folder and ran the command in the webif telnet window.

All seems to be fine.

Code:
humax# /mod/bin/stripts '/mnt/hd2/My Video/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated_20220503_1528' /mod/tmp                                                   
Saved: 1032784/3157522 packets, 189.11/578.28 MiB (32.71%)
Processed in: 35.77s
humax#

So what's next, if anything?

Thanks

Rodp

They might be, but not for this problem. Can you zip the epg files and send to me?
done

re webif so the unshrunk file is here
1651712825229.png

and this is the result:
1651712947152.png

so it looks like no problems.

Will I need to wait for another example to come through to help with this?

Thanks

Rodp

Probably there was (technical here) too much going on when the failing shrink was running. As a result some memory allocation failed but wasn't trapped, causing stripts to try addressing some memory that wasn't there: hence SIGSEGV.

Back