Automount - Is it just me?

BJD

Would someone be kind enough to look at the attachments and let me know what I am doing wrong as automount is not doing what I expected i.e. the folder which I have created (My Vault) keeps appearing/disappearing in FTP, WebIF and the box itself.....I can only assume that I have misunderstood something as there are so many (sometimes conflicting) posts on this topic in the forum. This is such a great feature in principle but (for me at least) very difficult to make it work properly.

Basic info:

I have HDR FOX-T2 with latest customised Firmware (and obviously the Network Shares - Automount package installed)

I have a network shared folder on my Windows 7 PC called 'My Vault'

I have placed a test video in this folder called 'nescafe'

I have created a folder on the box (using WebIF) called 'My Movie Vault' (see 1st attachment) and in there is where I have modified/renamed the folders

I can navigate to the 'nescafe' file in the 'My Vault' folder with FTP by typing \\HUMAX\Media\My Video\[ModSettings]\smb\My Movie Vault (but strangely the folder 'My Movie Vault' does sometimes appear under \\HUMAX\My Video\My Movie Vault?)

I can also navigate on the box itself (and in WebIF to the 'nescafe' video by choosing Media - My Video - [modSettings] - sbm - My Movie Vault - folder =__USER-PC_My Vault ....and there is the video......see attachment WebIF View 2

What's not happening (and the main reason I wanted this feature) is that when I want to move/copy a title to 'My Vault' (by selecting it on the box with the remote and then the Opt+ command) I can see the copy/move command and I can see the folder (although it sometimes disappears/reappears) and when I press red to copy it says it ‘queued to copy’ (or words to that effect) but nothing actually happens....and the video does not appear on the box, in WebIF or on the PC in the shared folder called 'My Vault'?

I have attached a couple of shots in the hope that I have simply misunderstood the process of creating the folder in the first place and I will say thank you in advance as I am sure there are good people in this community with the experience and knowledge base to help me fix this

Added info from WebIf scanmounts log:
192.168.1.69 is on-line - attempting to mount
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.69///USER-PC/My Vault /media/My Movie Vault -o user=User,password=Password,domain=Workgroup
mount: bad address '192.168.1.69\\\USER-PC'
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/My Movie Vault: Invalid argument

Attachments

• WebIF view.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 18
  • Netwok View.pdf
    107.5 KB · Views: 6
  • WebIF view 2.pdf
    125.1 KB · Views: 4
I think the problem is spaces, In WebIf view.pdf the folder name has a space (or 2) at the beginning and a space between PC and My. I think these spaces are being misinterpeted for '/' etc. I would use a folder name with no spaces or underscores, e.g. USER-PC-My-Vault

Thanks for the advice Ezra Pound but I'm sure I read that the '.' and the '/' symbols should be replaced by an underscore when renaming the folders.

The address on my network for the folder (which I have now renamed to My-Vault as you suggest) is \\USER-PC\My-Vault

If I rename the folder in /media/My Video/[ModSettings]/smb/My Movie Vault to USER-PC-My-Vault (as per your suggestion) then I don't see it at all in WebIF, FTP or on the box.....

According to the rules I should not use the '/' symbol so the only option I have is either your suggestion or how I had it i.e. with underscores replacing '/' and '.'

The folder name should just be "My-Vault (ie "folder=My-Vault"), forget the "\\USER-PC\" bit, as that is covered by the "host=" entry, where you have the ip address (you could in theory have put "host=USER-PC" instead of the ip but the ip tends to be more reliable).

Really appreciate the help Drutt but I again spent many agonising hours to try and get this to function correctly. I am definitely making progress though as my folder at least does not now keep appearing and disappearing as it did previously (and I'm sure it is successfully mounted as the scanmounts log is not reporting any errors now) however......a couple of things are still not making sense!

1. When I try to copy/move a title (from the box to the mounted folder) everything appears ok i.e. I see it as a copy/move option, and it allows me to select the 'red button' to copy/move but when I actually hit the red button it starts copying for a second or two and then says 'added for copy'.........and then (even 24hrs later) nothing’s happened. If I do the same procedure but on the virtual drive (which is also under the USB source) everything works perfectly OK.

2. I can place video files ( .ts and .avi to test) inside the folder on the PC (using the PC, not the box) and they are clearly there when I navigate to the mounted folder (on the box) and they both play......but not very well. They stutter a bit and navigation seems a slow.

It would be fantastic to have bi-lateral functionality but my main purpose for wanting the network shared mount is so I can copy titles from the box to my PC without having to use a computer.

Any further advice/comments would be very much welcome

Just for clarity, you have installed network shares automount on the Humax and set it up to access a Samba share from the PC? This will have installed cifs as a dependency. It will not co-exist with the samba package, so if you have installed that uninstall it again.

Hello Black Hole.....yes I have Network Shares Automount and Samba (and cifs) packages installed......If I understood your above advice correctly it was to uninstall cifs package but leave the other 2 packages (network shares automount and samba) installed. This I have done....I then rebooted the box but the situation hasn’t changed. Both 1 and 2 (from post 5 above) are still happening. Did I misunderstand or do you think that it could be something else.
I am so glad that the people here are understanding, patient and knowledgeable

No no no! Uninstall samba, you need cifs! cifs is the client end of the smb network share, samba is the server. But you can't do both at the same time.

No no no! Uninstall samba, you need cifs! cifs is the client end of the smb network share, samba is the server. But you can't do both at the same time.
Are you sure? I'm doing both at the same time... One is a client, one is a server - they should be able to co-exist.

Well, things might have changed but when I was setting up that was my problem.

Update: I've had a scratch around but I can't find the original reference. I might have mis-remembered.

1. When I try to copy/move a title (from the box to the mounted folder) everything appears ok i.e. I see it as a copy/move option, and it allows me to select the 'red button' to copy/move but when I actually hit the red button it starts copying for a second or two and then says 'added for copy'.........and then (even 24hrs later) nothing’s happened. If I do the same procedure but on the virtual drive (which is also under the USB source) everything works perfectly OK.

Copy from the box tends not to report anything that went wrong. Could be that you need to set write access on the PC for the share, and/or for the actual folders. Try copying from telnet or the web interface and see if that works.

2. I can place video files ( .ts and .avi to test) inside the folder on the PC (using the PC, not the box) and they are clearly there when I navigate to the mounted folder (on the box) and they both play......but not very well. They stutter a bit and navigation seems a slow.

May just be network speed? Are you running over wifi?

Followed BH's advice (removed samba and left cifs packages) and exactly the same outcome.....the only difference now is that 'HUMAX' doesn’t appear on my list of available networks anymore and I have to open it by ftp ......not that big an issue at the moment. Looking at Drutts latest post I suspect that may be the root of the issue. Yes, I am running over wifi as Ethernet is impractical in my situation.....I didn’t realise that wifi could be a limiting factor? I will hook up later with a cable and see what the result is. Thanks again for all the help/advice etc

Yeah, like I said samba provides the server. It seems like I was mistaken, but I have this little nag...

.I didn’t realise that wifi could be a limiting factor? I will hook up later with a cable and see what the result is. Thanks again for all the help/advice etc

I have my box hooked only to a "g" wireless access point and it struggles a bit streaming .ts files to the PC, however its fine streaming most mp4s / AVIs etc from the pc to the Humax as they tend to be more heavily compressed. Of corse you can just copy first then play (or even start playing a minutes after the copy started to give it a "head start").

Quick update guys.....the folder was indeed read only and changing the permissions fixed the problem. One of those details that is easily overlooked. And playing the file (PC to box) using a cable instead of wifi did improve things; but still did not play perfectly? Anyhow, much appreciated help form everyone....for me I think we can consider this subject complete

Further update:

After finally getting the configuration right I am now seeing strange behaviour when using automount......during the move/copy process the box often freezes and playing video is impossible (just keeps blacking out or stopping) and functionality is virtually non-existent whilst the move/copy process is taking place. Has anyone else come across this issue?

Back