BBC iPlayer Exclusive

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The Rat Pack

Alex ‘Hurricane’ Higgins - mercurial, explosive, a natural showman. Steve ‘The Nugget’ Davis - clinical, ruthless, ‘boring’. This comedy drama transports you back to the glory days of snooker and charts the rivalry of its two giants which spanned a decade, dividing the critics and delighting the fans.

Higgins, the bad boy of the sport, lives on the edge and plays to the crowd – desperate for approval and love. Davis has an aura of invincibility, methodically and clinically playing his way to the top, helped by legendary manager Barry Hearn. Higgins’ chaotic life away from the table saw him battling not just his sporting rivals, but his inner demons and loving wife.

This comedy drama, exclusive to BBC iPlayer, is an affectionate look at a transformational period in the history of British snooker. Staring Luke Treadaway, Will Merrick, Kevin Bishop and Nichola Burley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03bv0t5

Maybe it will be available via the TV Portal.

Which reminds me: I have the iPlayer exclusive "The Rat Pack" sitting in my buffer, waiting to save off.
I just downloaded it using get-iplayer and copied it across to the Humax and it plays fine. 832x468 is hardly HD though. Not even SD. If they're pushing stuff to online, it needs to be as good as off-air. I expect it'll get broadcast properly at some point.
They could have done it last night between 9 and 10:30 seeing as there was a hole but I expect that would mean a loss of face...

I downloaded via the TV Portal, which offers a HD option (which I didn't use). The result is a 940MB MP4. I'll let you know...

They could have done it last night between 9 and 10:30 seeing as there was a hole but I expect that would mean a loss of face...
I was hoping they might do that too, seeing as the actual snooker was such a disappointment!

Yes, 940Mb was what I got. I've now added "--modes=best" to get-iplayer and that has downloaded about 1.5GB and it's reported as 1280x720.

That may well be what would be downloaded on the portal with HD selected.

The 940MB file is quite soft, but good enough for me to watch and throw away. I seem to be able to ignore the picture quality in favour of the narrative (crisp pictures come into their own for the likes of wildlife programmes, where the imagery is everything).

I just downloaded it using get-iplayer and copied it across to the Humax and it plays fine. 832x468 is hardly HD though. Not even SD. If they're pushing stuff to online, it needs to be as good as off-air. I expect it'll get broadcast properly at some point.

Add best to the recording tab as below and you will get it in 1280 x 720p, 1.46GB

get_iplayer Web PVR Manager v2.94.png

Back