BBC News and BBC Sport showing on TV Portal

zawtowers

Got home from work this evening, put on the TV Portal on my HDR-Fox T2.

It looks like the BBC News and BBC Sport applications are now showing, and I tried both of them - they seemed pretty good. I definitely was able to watch the snooker online, and most likely have a choice of both tables later. The other headlines and videos all worked nicely as well.

This was with the standard firmware 1.03.12 - might need to be checked for those of you running the custom...

Would it not make sense for these to appear on the New Portal version in CF as well.
I suppose this is a feature/update request.

The standard portal is available on the custom portal as an option. So it's not urgent.

We actually added both of these new bbc apps to the custom portal along with a few other things a good few weeks ago, but have not pushed out an update.

It's not currently my project, so I don't know if an update is planned by the author.

Checked the Portal this morning, the new programmes are there but selecting them only brings up a blank screen. I-player etc are ok. I have no CF, just bog standard running 1.02.29.

Thanks Chris, would you recommend updating the firmware? I would wish to avoid the slow epg. My FoxT2 is very stable at present but the BBC sports app may be useful.

Thanks Chris, would you recommend updating the firmware? I would wish to avoid the slow epg. My FoxT2 is very stable at present but the BBC sports app may be useful.
You can either have the new iPlayer implementation with the slow EPG (and work around that by using the custom firmware web interface for scheduling), or keep the responsive EPG but be stuck with the old iPlayer (and broken iPlayer radio).

Just give it a test. I personally can live with the EPG issues - its not always slow.
You can always roll back to an earlier firmware if you dont like it - there is no block.

So is it any more than "iPlayer" with alternative content ?

Edit: Crafty monkeys! Just played the Senna greatest races clip hoping to test the save streamed media facility, and they started playing the snooker clip straight after, overwriting the one I wanted to (test!) keep.

2nd edit: Oh it's OK, as long as it is downloading faster than it needs to, you can save it before the next clip starts. while the desired clip is still playing. Just for testing purposes.

3rd edit: The news app has more content and images than the standard "red button" broadcast text service, but is similar in concept.

Back