BBC Red Button

BJD

Hi everyone

Trying to figure out why my Humax HDR-Fox T2 (with latest CF) always reverts to BBC Red Button despite in the settings I have selected (in settings for boot-settings package) BBC1. When it's left in the evening it will be on whatever channel I was watching (for example C4) but the following morning it will always be on Red Button channel which is a bit frustrating.

Additionally, it is quite often unavailable on the network i.e. has gone in to standby even though I have nothing in the settings commanding it to go into standby overnight?

Apologies if a little vague but hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult a problem to solve with the knowledge base we have in this forum.

Thanking you all in advance for any guidance and help.

Trying to figure out why my Humax HDR-Fox T2 (with latest CF) always reverts to BBC Red Button despite in the settings I have selected (in settings for boot-settings package) BBC1. When it's left in the evening it will be on whatever channel I was watching (for example C4) but the following morning it will always be on Red Button channel which is a bit frustrating.
Check if you have the Disable_DSO package installed and what its setting are.
https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#Disable_DSO

If that is the cause then action one of the following:
  • Do nothing
  • Change the settings of Disable_DSO
  • Uninstall Disable_DSO
  • Install the Boot-settings package and pick your start up channel
https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/boot-settings-apply-settings-during-boot.7678/

Additionally, it is quite often unavailable on the network i.e. has gone in to standby even though I have nothing in the settings commanding it to go into standby overnight?

Apologies if a little vague but hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult a problem to solve with the knowledge base we have in this forum.
The best knowledge base for how a particular HDR-FOX T2 is set up is usualy the owner of that HDR-FOX T2. Failing that it is the person who looks after it on behalf of the owner.
You will need to check your settings.
You have not mentioned what your power downn setting is. I sugest that you startt from there and if that is not set to turn it off then look at your other settings and what you have setup.

When it's left in the evening it will be on whatever channel I was watching (for example C4) but the following morning it will always be on Red Button channel which is a bit frustrating.
As stated above, BBC Red Button is the default channel for the disable-ota package, the full explanation of which is here: Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click). Things have changed a bit, and you don't actually need the reminder wake-up if other measures are taken - see the article. BBC Red Button was chosen for good reasons (it's silent, and does not load the HDD), but can be changed.

However, I don't understand why you find it frustrating. It may be that you simply didn't understand why and were frustrated by that. Would you normally carry on watching the same channel next day? If not, you would need to change channel anyway, so it doesn't matter where you start from.

The most likely cause of this is the disable-ota package. In order to prevent over-the-air updates, it adds a reminder to the schedule covering the update window and picks a data channel such as 250 to minimise disk activity and so that there is no sound output.
If you prefer a different channel in the morning, just use boot-settings or, given that no more updates will be forthcoming, just remove the disable-ota package and then remove the reminder from the recording schedule.

Guys, in the first line of his OP he says:
despite in the settings I have selected (in settings for boot-settings package) BBC1.
So advice to install/use boot-settings isn't helpful. Clearly it's broken in some way.

Absent any other ideas I'd try removing boot-settings, reboot the machine and then reinstall it.

Last edited:
just reading the replies....thanks guys for taking the time.

I actually don't mind so much it being on the BBC Red Button channel but (having thought about it a bit more) it's the fact that it then becomes unavailable on the network which I think (probably wrongly by the sound of things) that the 2 things are connected. I am away a lot and need to often access the folder and if it's not connected then I obviously cannot do that. Also, I use Plex and one of the folders Plex is set up for is the Humax media folder.....and the same issue, if the device isn't online then nothing is available in Plex either. Apologies if I've explained things in an odd way.

it's the fact that it then becomes unavailable on the network
Do you have auto-power-down turned on in the Humax menus? It's on by default and shuts down after three hours by default.

I'm overseas guys and it's already 1.00am ....need to rest so will resume tomorrow. Quick question for af123 .....is the setting for auto-power-down on the box itself? if so then I will not be able to check until back in the UK at the weekend.

In the meantime, thank you again 'one and all' for the usual fast and friendly support

is the setting for auto-power-down on the box itself?
You can view it using the Database Browser on the WebIf's Diagnostics page. It's in setup.db
You can change it using the boot-settings package (and them remove the setting again, as it only needs doing once).

You can view it using the Database Browser on the WebIf's Diagnostics page. It's in setup.db
You can change it using the boot-settings package (and them remove the setting again, as it only needs doing once).
But ... the boot-settings package appears not to be working, which would make this a futile exercise.

Thank you Black Hole and prpr. As I'm unable to access remotely and I'm away from home I will pick things up when I return. By the way, the Onlyeason asked af123 specifically

managed to have the unit started manually and looking at the auto-power-down in setup.db it is at 0 ....which I believe means not enabled

Attachments

• hummy 1.pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 8
quick update - uninstalled disable OTA and the boot settings package and reinstalled them both.... and machine seems to be functioning and behaving normally again (has done for last 2 or 3 weeks) so, touch wood, all seems now to be OK

A big thank you to everyone for the help, good advice and patience

Back