Bluetooth headphones.

Not me, I have analogue FM if I want to do that.

I thought the Bluetooth data rate was too low for 16-bit 44.1ksps stereo - am I out of date?

I don't know BH. That's why I am asking. I have heard stories about audio lag giving problems with lip sync. It seems that most BT headphones these days are geared up to work with mobile phones with microphones and the ability to control the playing of music from them etc., so lag would not be a problem in that use.

I have some FM headphones, but they plug into the headphone socket on the TV, which is already in use by my 2.1 PC speakers to make the sound more acceptable. Suppose I could use a splitter on the feed to the speakers.

Duplicate posts problem again. What is that black spinny thing top right of screen?

It means "processing". If you click "post" again while it's spinning (or even after it has gone), you get a duplicate post (the post has registered on the forum, but the browser window has not updated).

I have heard stories about audio lag giving problems with lip sync.
That seems plausible, but not definite.

I don't know what the current situation is, but there were fears that the 'unregulated' radio spectrum used for analogue radio microphones in theatres and such was going to be turned over to some other use, so live stage performances would be forced to use digital wireless transmission - with the associated time synchronisation problems*.

* Only encoded data streams are licensed in the relevant frequency bands, which require frame-based encoding - so a frames-worth of analogue samples have to be accumulated before they can be processed, and however fast the processing and transmission is there cannot be less than one frame time delay between the input waveform and the output waveform, typically 64ms. This is irrelevant for one-way distribution, but in live performance a singer will be receiving back a delayed version of their own voice and it won't be in sync with the backing.

Unless the Bluetooth transmits the raw digital audio data stream, there will be an encoding of the analogue audio (or its decoded digital equivalent), transmission via Bluetooth, and then conversion back to analogue audio for the actual headphone. Even if only simple PCM is used, there will be a delay... but the delay could be compatible with the flight time of sound from source to ear.

I wasn't thinking of an 'echo; between TV and phones, bot the sound channel being delayed by the BT processing such that it was no longer in sync with the picture. I have also posted a similar question on AVF and await answers from there to compare with those from here.

It means "processing". If you click "post" again while it's spinning (or even after it has gone), you get a duplicate post (the post has registered on the forum, but the browser window has not updated).
Ok, thanks. The problem is that sometimes it spins for ages, then stops, and nothing appears to have happened, my post is in the text box, not, apparently, in the forum. That doesn't sound right, does it? Is this beta software?

Re OP, it isn't easy if you switch from speakers to BT unless your TV has two separate delay settings.

As for headphones, I have used many, also BT speakers.

Yes, I realised that and appreciated it. TV to ear is probably about 9 mS. (9ft @ 1mS/foot).
Strange, I have never read anyone banging on about that delay when peeps on AVF go on about sound delays.

Back