[boot-settings] Apply settings during boot

af123

Administrator
Staff member
I've uploaded a new package to replace the ageing (and now badly named) poweron-channel package.

boot-settings allows you to apply system settings during system boot. It can be used to replace the features of poweron-channel by setting a startup channel, volume and favourites group, but it can also set most other parameters automatically (e.g. ensuring that content sharing is on or that the menu shows a specific option when you open it following a reboot).

Screenshot%202017-01-17%2023.20.35.png

The supported parameters are:

Screenshot%202017-01-17%2023.25.40.png

Is there a "be" missing there?
"The following settings will be automatically applied..."

Brill. Even without the "be":laugh:
I wonder if the "Content sharing" option will overcome the problem that some peeps have with it randomly switching off,

Wow! What a list of goodies. It's like a kid in a sweet shop.
Some of these aren't exposed in the standard interface so if anyone does play with subtitle size/position, let us know if they do anything!

There are other hidden values too but I can't imagine anyone wanting to try and set their screen resolution to 480i. 720i/p might be of interest if it works though.

I have been puzzling a bit as to what use this is (apart from "because we can"), it's not like we have experienced the box randomly changing settings (apart from the well-known issues of favourites, having a preferred service at boot, and the content share dropping off for no obvious reason). However, I think I have come up with two scenarios (and added some more as a result of subsequent discussion):
  • Kids (or others) randomly pressing buttons - reboot and you're back to "normal";
  • A saved configuration following a factory reset - just accept the defaults at set-up, then reboot to restore "normal";
  • Control over the user preferences independent of the Humax on-screen menus;
  • Access to non-standard parameter values not supported by the Humax UI.

Last edited:
I have been puzzling a bit as to what use this is (apart from "because we can"),
Is that not a good enough reason? Surely the whole CF development was based on that premise. And is that not why there is no CF for later Humax boxes. "Because we can't."?

Kids (or others) randomly pressing buttons - reboot and you're back to "normal";
Yep - mine went through a period of liking to watch with subtitles on. I've used poweron-channel to switch them off on each boot for a while (even though they've stopped doing it now as far as I know).

I'll add another:

To change system settings remotely or without access to the TV. Might be a niche scenario but my development box doesn't have a TV connected.

...and is that not why there is no CF for later Humax boxes. "Because we can't."?
I think we only got as far as finding that it isn't easy. Mind you, it wasn't easy for the T2 either!
I've no reason to look at the newer boxes and nobody else has picked up the challenge as far as I know.

.. oh, and another use:

To set parameters to custom values, e.g. skip time 24 seconds.

(we had a user asking how to do this recently IIRC)

Did he want non-standard values? I remember being confused about it.

I take it the settings require a reboot to take effect?

I have installed this and removed POC. I have set Volume, Channel, Favourite Group and Content Sharing. On boot the correct channel is displayed but the favourites group is not - it shows all channels.
POC worked fine with this set up - anything I can look at ?

First lines of xinit.log:

8 [/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/dbupdate]
7 Setting USERCONFIG:VOLUME = (Value)20
6 Setting USERCONFIG:CUR_SVC = (Value)524443
5 Setting USERCONFIG:CHLIST_GROUP = (Value)1
4 Setting MENUCONFIG:DMS_START_ON = (Value)1
3 [/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/bootset]
2 AHW: Already done.
1 [/var/lib/humaxtv/mod/xinit.d/ahw]

Looks okay to my untrained eye (BBC News HD is 524443 and Fav group (BBC) is 1 according to channel.db)

PS - The emoji should be colon D !

Last edited:
Back