Both HDRs Can't See Each Other But My Laptop Can See Them Both

I'm back now. The house isn't on fire.

It's still going, two and half hours later. Surely that can't be right? Is it safe to try and cancel it or not?

Last edited:
It's been going over 5 hours now. Please can someone advise if I should leave it on all night or if it's actually doing anything at all?:unsure:

It's been going over 5 hours now. Please can someone advise if I should leave it on all night or if it's actually doing anything at all?:unsure:

This seems too long unless the disk drive is very dodgy.

Assuming you've aborted the format, you might try again. If the disk format still fails, your pre-owned HDR Fox may be slightly foxed. Installing the Custom Firmware would allow you to diagnose the drive on the box. Otherwise you'd have to remove the disk and connect it to a PC, eg via a SATA disk caddy.

You'll want to consult HDR-FOX Hardware: Commissioning, Disassembly, Repair.

Also, note that for your application (network playback) you could use a HD Fox. I'm not sure if a HDR Fox with its disk unplugged would do the job: maybe others have tried this.

I think you might be right. I switched it off and powered it back on again. I did a factory reset and all the recordings were still there but previously when I looked they had disappeared. The clicking noise has come back but for the past 7 hours while it was supposedly formatting it had disappeared. It was freezing in places as well so I switched it off into standby mode. I waited for it to power down but it kept on whirring so in the end I had to unplug it.

And well worth it.
If you decide to get rid, mention it here first. Likely someone will have it off you.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Have had a full refund from the seller so I'm now looking for another one. Back to the drawing board!

Back