Box crashing

I've had a couple of episodes where my box has "frozen" - no HDMI signal sent to the TV and no responses to pings. I'm running custom firmware 3.12 and web if v1.4.1-6. Any advice on how best to diagnose this?

HDD overheating? If the solution requires rebooting, complain to Humax, not fit for purpose!

It's happening every couple of weeks. I've been keeping an eye on the HDD temperature and it hasn't risen above about 43C in the last month, so that seems fine.

Many thanks for the link - I'll go through the suggestions. Unfortunately it's long out of warranty, so a Humax probably wouldn't be interested in helpiing out :0(

Has anyone found an imaginative workaround for this, for when the Humax keels over at an inconvenient time (e.g. just after you've left for a 2-week holiday, when you were expecting to come home to 2 weeks worth of fresh recordings, and instead return to a comatose box).

Yes: a timeswitch to give it a daily reboot (so that 24 hours is the longest it will sit crashed), or an Internet-controlled power socket so that if RS loses contact you can reboot it remotely. Several people have opted for the cheap and no-user-intervention-needed timeswitch.

But don't use the sort of electronic timeswitch that is knocked out by a power outage, as I once did to control the lighting in an aquarium. A WeMo switch is a good investment, but controlling it over the internet may be in an inverse relationship to how secure your firewall is.

You can claim against the seller for up to six years from purchase, but good luck with that!

Should read

Things every owner should never need to know or do.

Back