Box cutting out

Rocketrob01

For the past week my box keeps cutting out for 1-2 seconds, usually picture and sound.
This seems to happen on both live TV (all channels) and programmes we have recorded.
On pre recorded programmes it seems to be happening on programmes we recorded a few weeks before I noticed happening on live TV.

Any thoughts or work around?

The only recourse you have is a factory reset, including disk format. It's a blunt instrument, but your only tool.

Yeah. Watch his beloved recordings as they are 99.99999 % perfect
Then
Reformat
In principle yes, but it depends a bit on how many recordings are backlogged and what they want to record in the time it takes to watch them. Compromises - as ever.

Having two (different) PVRs is of course the ideal solution.

In principle yes, but it depends a bit on how many recordings are backlogged and what they want to record in the time it takes to watch them. Compromises - as ever.

Having two (different) PVRs is of course the ideal solution.
In theory - yes.
In practice - you'll end up swapping one set of issues with another..
Eg you'll be able to watch and schedule more recordings. Just need more time to watch them! There's also the memory test with different UI, remote layout, switching both units on to find a particular recording, different look and feel/behaviour, etc. I use to have another make/model PVR to supplement my HDR until it stopped working. For me it's easier to have a second HDR. As you say, it's a bit of a compromise.

A bit drastic to delete ALL his recordings

You've got a better idea?
One possibility, if you have a USB disk with enough free space, is to save all/some recordings to USB disk - before reformatting the internal disk.
A quick way is to FTP all the recordings to a USB drive on your computer. Put them in a top level folder named ".recordings".* When plugged into the original Humax they should be indistinguishable from recordings on the internal disk. You can't FTP them back, but you can move them from the Humax menu.
I had to reformat my 5000T disk recently and went for the nuclear option. I'd already saved some recordings as indicated and they were recoverable (even HiDef)
(* Easiest way to create the necessary folders is to save one small recording to USB connected to the Humax - from the Humax menu)

Yeah. Watch his beloved recordings as they are 99.99999 % perfect
Then
Reformat
I don't see how that constitutes a better idea. It's the same idea, just with a suggestion when to do it (I didn't say when to do it). I presumed the OP is intelligent enough to decide that for himself.

One possibility, if you have a USB disk with enough free space, is to save all/some recordings to USB disk - before reformatting the internal disk.
A quick way is to FTP all the recordings to a USB drive on your computer.
This is an improvement – I didn't know what opportunities for backup the hardware has. Nonetheless, it's still just a tweak, and "back up important data before reformatting" doesn't seem like something which should need spelling out.

The message I was trying to get across is that (with no CF) the FVP4000T/5000T (we don't know which) has no interventions available beyond the standard disk reformat / factory reset. I notice the OP has not responded.

The message I was trying to get across is that (with no CF) the FVP4000T/5000T (we don't know which) has no interventions available beyond the standard disk reformat / factory reset. I notice the OP has not responded.
Correct. Once my disk had gone read-only and the 5000T crashed when it tried to write to the live buffer, reformat was my only solution. I don't have the necessary kit to remove the internal disk and attach to a PC with a view to investigating further. In my case, pulling the aerial cable allowed the 5000T to boot properly. I could have saved all the recordings, but decided not to. (I had saved some recordings fairly recently because the disk was nearly full). But it's only TV, and most of the recordings will be on again soon.

I don't see how that constitutes a better idea. It's the same idea, just with a suggestion when to do it (I didn't say when to do it). I presumed the OP is intelligent enough to decide that for himself.

This is an improvement – I didn't know what opportunities for backup the hardware has. Nonetheless, it's still just a tweak, and "back up important data before reformatting" doesn't seem like something which should need spelling out.

Why backpedal so furiously?

Or even bothered to logon again since the initial post.
Not bothered, rather too sick with Covid, but thanks....

It's the 4000 model that I have but I will try formatting and doing a hard reset when I can stay awake for more than hour or 2 without flaking out again, thanks for the suggestion. Just wish the Humax was a bit robust than its proving to be.

Back