Box Freezing Up.

Gerry

Hi,
Have had the HDR now for over 10 years and just last week the box has been freezing up. I first noticed this while choosing Media and "Processing" was visible on screen. To get rid of this the only way is to Power down and wait 30/40 secs..Power Up and all is fine. Just did this and was able to watch a recorded programme..stop it and return to main screen only for the box to freeze again with 5 mins or so.
We had work done in living room with quite a lot of dust but all electronic items were covered up.
This morning I took back cover off and applied an Air Duster to get rid of any dust build-up.
But the box is still freezing up.
Also did a factory Reset and Ran the Software Up-date but to no avail.
The only way around this is to Power Down/Up with switch at rear.
Any ideas as to whats happening with the unit?

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply..Have read the link.Can test tomorrow but just one thing..When it freezes it is stuck on last channel used.It doesn't go into StandBy cause aerial goes thru box then linked to TV.If I switch box off I loose Signal..I will dis everything in morning and see does it freeze.
On another note..clicking on the link for any downloads I get an error message from Google saying this page is not available..Strange as I,m using Microsoft Edge.
When switching on I get Custom Firmware then RMA on front panel.I thought I had deleted CF from the box a few years ago.
Cheers.

It doesn't go into StandBy cause aerial goes thru box then linked to TV.
That has nothing to do with whether the unit is in standby, unless you have "power saving in standby" switched on. See Things Every... (click) section 7.

On another note..clicking on the link for any downloads I get an error message from Google saying this page is not available..Strange as I,m using Microsoft Edge.
Try this wiki page: Firmware Downloads2

When switching on I get Custom Firmware then RMA on front panel.I thought I had deleted CF from the box a few years ago.
That means you never completed the removal by installing a standard firmware. You will need to go into the Telnet menu and clear the RMA flag before you can make any progress.

Isn't it ironic that you tried to remove something which will now help you solve your problem? Why would you want to do that?? Serves you right if you end up having to reformat or even scrap your HDD.

Thanks for the link anyhow..At the time the CF wasn't for me..maybe I,m not that Tech minded for positives outcomes with it. I had followed the instructions set out here to remove it but alas I must have messed up.People learn by their mistakes.
Relating to the Stand-By..I was merely stating that the unit does not switch off completely..it still shows a picture of last channel.
Maybe it has just reached it,s shelf life and it,s time another recorder was purchased. This one was bought for the sole purpose to receive RTÈ/Virgin Media when all went digital back in the day.

Maybe it has just reached it,s shelf life and it,s time another recorder was purchased.
It's possible, and it depends how motivated you are. You might pursue a lot of investigation and end up scrapping iut anyway, but many of us on this forum are attached to our HDR-FOXes in preference to any other model.

it still shows a picture of last channel
That's a typical crash/freeze.

I was merely stating
What caused the confusion was your statement:
It doesn't go into StandBy cause aerial goes thru box then linked to TV.If I switch box off I loose Signal.
(and I'm still unclear what the relevance of that might be)

.It doesn't go into StandBy cause aerial goes thru box then linked to TV.If I switch box off I loose Signal.
There is a option in the Humax setting menu 'Aerial passthru on standby' (or similar wording) that will allow TV signal to continue while in standby.
However this is unlikely to be the cause of your crash problems

Relating to the Stand-By..I was merely stating that the unit does not switch off completely..it still shows a picture of last channel.
Static or moving?
Maybe it has just reached it,s shelf life and it,s time another recorder was purchased.
I'd suspect there might be a corrupt recording, and it's hanging during shutdown trying to make the thumbnail for it, and failing.

Not that I know off.
I dissed the box from everything and powered it up on it,s own. I could toggle the channel buttons on the front of unit and I can see the channels moving up/down as if it,s still connected to TV.
I re-connected all cables (Aerial coax, HDMI) and still the problem persists after 5/10mins.
I can Open Media and watch any recorded programme before it freezes up..so does this mean the HHD is infact working as it should? I can finish watching the programme, delete it and return to Live TV. Wait again for 5/10 mins and freezes with the current channel still viewable. The only thing I can,t do is operate the box other than to Switch Off/On and then it works.
I did run the official firmware..then tried again for the CF but this stopped after 10/15 mins and by this time the box had froze and wifi dissed. Reverted back to Official Firmware.
So thats where I am now..
Jus another piece of info.. Any scheduled recordings are not happening cause of the freeze up but I can press Record when unit is OK and it records only to revert to the said again after 5/10mins.
Have been reading all on the Help pages and trying to take it in..

Wait again for 5/10 mins and freezes with the current channel still viewable.
The problem here is a difference in our understanding of "freeze". The typical freeze is becoming unresponsive to commands, video output becoming still frame, but audio continuing. From what I can make out you mean only unresponsive to command.

I've seen that only very occasionally, and I don't know what to attribute it to.

Hi,
Further investagations on this I have dissed the HDD and connected back up. The box is responsive to all commands. So this leads to the HDD I presume. Now I have the problem of my new router blocking the Wifi connection and I can,t seem to un-block it
Maybe I used Freeze incorrectly..The remote becomes redundant to any command after 5/10 mins(Channel is still showing) but as I have stated above..with the HDD now dissed for around 30mins, the remote control; is still responsive.

What I think is happening is that the operating system is struggling to access the HDD, the consequence being that this imposes a huge extra load on the processing and thus the response to command input. If you were to try just one command at a time, then wait, you might find it got actioned eventually.

Buffering up loads of commands often crashes it.

By the way, "dissed" means something else to me!

The only command I,m doing is changing Channel. That stops after 5/10 mins. I,m not bombarding anything. Maybe the jargon is all wrong on my part. By pressing the channel button on the remote controller the channel changes. If I press the Media button, whats recorded on HDD comes up.
So with the HDD disconnected from the board, the unit is still responsive to all on the remote control..ie working normally.
Dissed to me means Disconnected..I use it in my work-place all the time.

Not common according to google, I found one reference to historic usage https://www.etymonline.com/word/dis

I think there are a few possibilities:
  • Corrupt file or file structure on the disk. It would well worth while installing the customised firmware and running fixdisk in maintenance mode to attempt to fix any problems, a single faulty sector can cause massive slow downs if in a critical file.
  • Overheating, with the CF you can monitor disk temperature with the sysmon package and use the fan package to keep the system at an even temperature.
  • Faulty power supply - this usually manifests itself as inability to start up with HDD connected. Several people have reported fixing this by replacing a capacitor but it does require a bit of soldering iron work
  • Failing hard drive but dont jump to that conclusion until you have attempted the fixdisk and posted the hard disk smart statistics

Hi,
Will take your advice on-board if and when I can get the box connected to the same network as my PC. Still can,t reach page and have exhausted all possible remedies on the Eero App
Oh and I have been working lonf before the invention of Google..maybe just down to dialects..😊

In modern parlance (not that I like modern parlance) "dissed" is short for "disrespected", and means insulted. I've never in all my engineering years come across it as an abbreviation for disconnected.

The only command I,m doing is changing Channel. That stops after 5/10 mins.
I wish I could follow what you're talking about. What "stops"? Do you mean that the command responds to start with and then further commands cease to respond? How long do you wait before you decide it hasn't responded?

By pressing the channel button on the remote controller the channel changes. If I press the Media button, whats recorded on HDD comes up.
SO WHAT IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU MEAN BY "FREEZE"???

Dunno what that means either.

Everything you need to diagnose your problem has been provided, the rest is down to you.

Back