Broken series links or just me?

Jeddy

Is there a problem with series links or is it just my box?

The other day the 4000T decided that it wasn't going to continue to record the latest series of The Repair Shop (BBC1 9th 20:00)
Last week it decided that it would record the first Motor Pickers (Quest 3rd 22:00) but not the second one (22:30) despite no significant conflicts.
I'm also finding that it won't allow me to record a series (Abandoned Engineering) on Yesterday - but I'm guessing that may be normal as I've never tried recording a series on Yesterday before.

Any thoughts please?
Jeddy

Series links normally depend upon a code provided by the broadcasters called CRID. Each series should be allocated the same CRID throughout the run, but often it gets changed unexpectedly and the box loses track of the series.

There is nothing you can do to improve matters apart from setting up manual recordings if programmes are on at the same time each day/week.

I doubt that it is just your box. The BBC are often screwing up the series link. On other channels I've had problems with part of a series being in a series link then that link vanishes.

I missed an episode of Repair Shop this week due to the BBC changing the series link as well, so you can't blame your box for that one.

Thanks, the confirmation that Andy also missed the same episode provides reassurance it's not just me.

I think next weeks episode of the repair shop is a repeat from season 4, could it be that they are airing random episodes from different seasons making the series link fail. Series links are often just for a season rather than every season of a particular show.
Edit.... Next weeks is season 4 ep 24. Can you remember the description of last weeks? was it this?
Episode #4.23
The team tackle a set of binoculars salvaged from a WWII U-Boat, a vintage mechanical money box, and two boxing belts with a proud and emotional history.

Last edited:
Can you remember the description of last weeks? was it this?
Episode #4.23
The team tackle a set of binoculars salvaged from a WWII U-Boat, a vintage mechanical money box, and two boxing belts with a proud and emotional history.
I remember that one; it wasn't the episode broadcast this week or last. This week they restored a shove ha'penny board, a silver trophy, a ventriloquists dummy, and a typewriter. I do not believe the current Wednesday night run are repeats at all.

That's American. Here they are "series".

The Repair Shop on Friday 9th @ 20:00 was removed from the schedule and replaced by Babs, this Repair Shop series is CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4I39. The next Repair Shop to be on now is Wednesday the 16th @ 20:00 and that should be picked up correctly to record (has for me on my own DVR software) as it is using the same series CRID. So that looks all okay.

Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday (see attached), not sure what is happening there, seems a bit of a mess. There is a series link covering all the Abandoned Engineering episodes for the 13th, but on the 14th some have a series link CRID but different, and not covering all following showings, and some programs have no series link at all so would need to be set individually. It needs three separate series linked recordings to cover the current advertised airings, and on the image attached the white ones are not set because they have no series link so don't get picked up and would need individual recordings set.

Not sure about Quest as I no longer have that data. Hope that helps explain it.

Attachments

• Abandoned Engineering.png
    Abandoned Engineering.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
trog and Black Hole gave me an idea, looking at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b08l581p/the-repair-shop it looks like we have been watching series 6, except this Weds instead of being Series 6: Episode 10 for some reason best known to themselves it is 60-Minute Versions: Episode 32 first broadcast on 9th (if I'm interpreting the data correctly). Any regular watchers will know that Series 6 is 60 Minute episodes anyway so god knows what they are playing at. (Yes, I get it that the CRID doesn't work on names, but if iPlayer is showing different names it does rather explain that the CRID may be different too.)

Thanks lc200! I'd noticed there were multiple instances throughout the week but I was only trying to set a season pass up for one - sounds like it was most likely the one with no CRID.

I know sometimes broadcasters get it wrong, but when I start to see multiple problems in quick succession I start to think that there may be a problem developing with my box.

Thanks guys.

The Repair Shop on Friday 9th @ 20:00 was removed from the schedule and replaced by Babs, this Repair Shop series is CRID fp.bbc.co.uk/m/4I39.
The Repair Shop episode on Wednesday 9th was broadcast as usual. This was before her death was announced. There was no Repair Shop episode scheduled for Friday evening.

Not Friday evening, no, but the previous week's Wednesday broadcast is repeated on BBC2 on Fridays at 8am (which could be mistaken for 8pm and then misquoted as 20:00).

@BH "That's American. Here they are "series"." Maybe for some but its common here too. I think its a better term, If you follow a series you watch all episodes but season more clearly defines it as a group of episodes that make up an ongoing series.

Looks like it was this episode then.
Episode #4.14
The team tackle a ventriloquist's dummy, a 1920s typewriter and a precious athletics trophy that's the last remaining memento of a much-loved father.

@Jeddy "it looks like we have been watching series 6, except this Weds instead of being Series 6: Episode 10 for some reason best known to themselves it is 60-Minute Versions: "
There has only been 9 episodes of season 6 aired so far, it seems that the 1 hour episodes are made up from bits of older episodes just to confuse things further :). Next weeks episode is billed as ep32 of the hour series.

Radio Times had Wednesday's Repair Shop as one of their 'Choices' and didn't flag it as a repeat (which they normally do if it is) so if it wasn't a repeat I would have expected the series link to have picked it up. BBC obviously thought otherwise.

Their compilations really annoy me, you start watching a program and keep thinking I've seen this before but it's not indicated as a repeat, eventually they show something which you are certain you've seen and realise it is nothing more than a compilation. If this week was a compilation that may also explain why I saw Sonaz in the background at one point, despite her not being in series 6 so far.
Countryfile is another terror for doing that, they'll broadcast a program with a handful of short new bits interspersed with long old bits.
On a totally different subject, I really love the way on the hummy I can press blue to jump forward a minute :lol:

They are certainly milking this one, 6 seasons of episodes then an additional 3 seasons comprising of a 30 minute a 45 minute and a 60 minute version, all basically repeats but packaged in a way that avoids them having to say so. The addition of XS, M or XL would at least give you a clue that it was not brand new material.

Radio Times had Wednesday's Repair Shop as one of their 'Choices' and didn't flag it as a repeat (which they normally do if it is) so if it wasn't a repeat I would have expected the series link to have picked it up. BBC obviously thought otherwise.
In BBCs eyes this wasn't a repeat. iPlayer describes it as "60-Minute Versions: Episode 32".
All kinds of reality programs (eg Bargain Hunt, Flog It! etc) get this treatment, which describes a rehash of original material in a 'new' presentation. Not sure who they think are being fooled.

@alanofcleves The link I posted shows clearly that to be the case, I guess he did not look. It gives a better view of past, present and future episodes. As a fan of the series I have bookmarked it and suggest others do also. It is a rehash that contains S04E14.

Back