Broken WebIF

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Ouch!

HDR1 seemed to be working perfectly normally (Portal crashed it a couple of times), I had even reviewed the HDD stats, but when I accessed WebIF again (just to check the link) I got this:

CBE5A490-4F66-49D7-92C1-9B3A9D915AB6.jpeg

...in other words an active web server with nothing to serve.

A reboot got me the "Custom Firmware Successfully Installed!" screen with the Access Telnet button, but a couple of rounds of "fixweb" didn't do anything to help.

What now? I'm running a fixdisk, which doesn't look like it has found anything untoward (so far).

Try a forced re-install of the web server software:

Code:
opkg install lighttpd --force-reinstall

Reboot after maintenance mode fixdisk run (nothing reported), and it's back to normal (or so it seems).

My little incident yesterday seems to have "lost" virtual-disk2, as noted from my inability to see remote shares. I guess I'll figure out whether anything else is missing as time goes on.

I wouldn't know - what I know is I noticed their functions were missing, and they were no longer listed as installed, so I re-installed them.

i think i might have worked out what happened to cause this: I had a recording fail due to lack of disk space about the same time. Maybe there's a bug in the Humax code (which wouldn't matter in non-CF) that allows the recording process to over-write disk space occupied by stuff the Humax code knows nothing about. Maybe this doesn't happen every time.

Didn't we decide this sort of thing might be handled by DMA? It seems to me that one miscalculation of the number of bytes to transfer to disk as a DMA block could easily ignore the file system constraints and just overwrite the first chunks of CF it comes across.

Perhaps /mod needs to be on a different partition. Is there a reason for it to be on /hd2?

...allows the recording process to over-write disk space occupied by stuff the Humax code knows nothing about...

...a DMA block could easily ignore the file system constraints and just overwrite the first chunks of CF it comes across...
I think you're entering the realms of fantasy there Jones...

Aren't these all packages with components on the flash disks?

Could be tricky to partition /mod away on the HD ...

I have just logged on to my two machines located in another room via webif. Both had pink warnings that they had crashed, so I ran the fix-flash-packages diagnostic. Both then showed the same directory format as posted by Black Hole in #1. So I power cycled both machines and got the "Custom Firmware Successfully Installed!" / Telnet option Black Hole described. I have tried the force reinstall suggested by af123, to no avail. Seems very odd to get the same issue in two boxes stacked one on top of the other at the same time. Perhaps it was power spike / electrical storm.

I seem to have 70gb and 90gb of disk space available, so I don't think that can be the issue here.

I have just set fixdisk running to see if that fixes it. Fortunately have have another box to crib the list of packages from, if any are missing after this - I assume there is no auto-restore option for packages.

I recall having this on one of the boxes five or six years ago, and went through the belt and braces option of installing the stock firmware, the CF then all the packages again. Before I do that tomorrow, are there any other suggestions or learning that can be gained from this?

Fixdisk has finished, so I exited the webshell and rebooted, only to back to the "Custom Firmware Successfully Installed!" screen.

This time I took the option to install webif and got the errors in the screenshot. Where do I go from here?

Annotation 2020-06-25 235205.png

WebIF 1.4.8-9 is still beta isn't it? Perhaps it's just as well that for some reason I can't see beta packages on the main machine any more - I've been meaning to post on this.

Funnily enough the main machine crashed Wednesday evening, first time in three months.

The problem persists this morning, so I am guessing it is not a glitch on the package server.

Obviously I have no option as to which version of webif it tries to load. The only option is the Reboot button on the screen which just reboots back to the webif download option, and back to the same screen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

opkg install opkg-beta --force-reinstall

I get the following (on both machines)

Code:
Humax HDR-Fox T2 (HDR3) 1.03.12/3.13                                                                                                                                   

To return to the menu, type: exit                                                                                                                                       

HDR3# To return to the menu, type: exit                                                                                                                                 
/bin/sh: To: not found                                                                                                                                                 
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# HDR3# opkg install opkg-beta --force-reinstall                                                                                                                   
/bin/sh: HDR3#: not found                                                                                                                                               
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# No packages removed.                                                                                                                                             
/bin/sh: No: not found                                                                                                                                                 
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# Installing opkg-beta (1.1) to root...                                                                                                                             
/bin/sh: syntax error: unexpected "("                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/opkg-beta_1.1_mipsel.opk.                                                                                               
/bin/sh: Downloading: not found                                                                                                                                         
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# Installing webif (1.4.8-9) to root...                                                                                                                             
/bin/sh: syntax error: unexpected "("                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# Collected errors:                                                                                                                                                 
/bin/sh: Collected: not found                                                                                                                                           
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#  * opkg_download_pkg: Package webif is not available from any configured src.                                                                                     
/bin/sh: bin: not found                                                                                                                                                 
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#  * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download webif. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?                                                                             
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3#  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package opkg-beta.                                                                                                           
HDR3#                                                                                                                                                                   
HDR3# HDR3#

Back