BT Smart Hub bridge/modem mode

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
I've always wondered if the BT Smart Hub could be put into bridge/modem mode just like the business version as with the previous firmware 'Bridge
Mode' would briefly pop up top right on the home page before being replaced by 'BT Smart Hub Manager'.

It can. The setting is on a page hidden on the home version.

Navigate Advanced Settings > Log in > Broadband > Internet

Change the /internet part of the address to /routing.

This brings up a hidden page. At the bottom is a setting for Bridging.

As this turns the hub into a modem you'll have to switch your router to 'Does your Internet connection require a login? YES' or the equivalent and enter the connection details, plus set connection type to PPPoA for ADSL or PPPoE for VDSL as appropriate.

Bear in mind this will disable all router functions such as NAT, DHCP and DNS.

No, I've not tried it yet and, other than resetting, I don't know how you get it out of bridge/modem mode or what its IP address changes to if any.

Bear in mind this will disable all router functions such as NAT, DHCP and DNS.
Surely that's what you expect? If you're turning it into a bridge you can't really expect it to act as a router.
I don't know how you get it out of bridge/modem mode or what its IP address changes to if any.
Why should its LAN IP address change? Presumably it has an admin. page in the same way. You just need to be more clever with your router if you want to access it. You will also need to change the bridge/modem's subnet or your LAN's subnet - they can't both be the same.
That's why I did anyway - I use old Netgear DG834s in bridge mode.

Surely that's what you expect?
A reminder never hurts, even if it is obvious.
Why should its LAN IP address change? Presumably it has an admin. page in the same way.
It's not on the LAN any more - it's on the WAN.

The VM SuperHubs had (when I used VM) a specific 192... i/p address in modem mode but I've not yet found what the BT hub defaults to.
You will also need to change the bridge/modem's subnet or your LAN's subnet - they can't both be the same.
That's why I did anyway
I've related here that I put the BT Smart Hub on it's own subnet and point my router's WAN port at it.

Last edited:
It's not on the LAN any more - it's on the WAN.
No it's not. The WAN is the PPPoE/PPPoA interface which is on the separate router, not the modem/bridge (which is no longer the router).
The router<>modem subnet is just another subnet, but it's not the WAN. The latter is encapsulated over the former though.

In my case I originally split 192.168.x.0/24 in to 192.168.x.0/25 and 192.168.x.128/25, the former being what you would call the LAN, and the latter being the router<>modem subnet. Obviously you can pick whichever private address ranges suit.
Anyway, the point is that .x.254 was originally the modem/router's address and is now still the modem/bridge's address. But I guess other equipment may differ.

How to find the current IP address of a device when you have no idea what it could be is an interesting question. It can be quite tricky IME.

No it's not. The WAN is the PPPoE/PPPoA interface which is on the separate router, not the modem/bridge (which is no longer the router).
The router<>modem subnet is just another subnet, but it's not the WAN. The latter is encapsulated over the former though.
Forgive me - I worked on the basis of understanding enough to get it working and no more.

How to find the current IP address of a device when you have no idea what it could be is an interesting question. It can be quite tricky IME.
Angry IP Scanner comes to mind.

Back