[removed]

I take it this is Windows?

Is this a one-off job, or repetitive?

If it's a one-off, what I would do is grab a directory listing into a text file, and use a word processor to do search-and-replace operations to turn each (relevant) line into a rename command, then run it as a .bat file. Using something like OpenOffice/LibreOffice, or Notepad++, gives you access to regex (regular expressions) so you can detect things like "_nnnn" and turn them into "_nnnn-".

If it's a repetitive job, I would use Bulk Rename Utility https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/#mainscreen (which I do!).

As a one-off, if you can furnish a file containing a directory listing of all the files in question, I'm happy to cobble up the .bat if you wish.

It's something to run regularly, ideally as a scheduled task or tagged on to the end of my daily get_iplayer script. There would be new files to process every day.
So what you actually want is a process which can autonomously scan for candidate files and rename them by formula. With enough motivation, I reckon I could do it using a .bat to grab the directory listing, and a .awk to convert that into a one-time self-destructing rename .bat. Or somebody comfortable with "proper" coding could probably create a .exe to "just do it".

Bulk Rename Utility is not suitable - it can be configured to rename by various pattern matches and other string manipulations, but it needs pointing at its target by manually navigating the folder tree.

Have you tried Metamorphose? It will navigate a whole directory tree if necessary.

Back