Can’t see fan in system monitor

Robti

Hi so I have had a look and for the last couple of months and system monitor says fan has always been off even though I have the min speed set to 95%. Anything I can check before I remove it from the av cabinet to check?
Thanks

The system monitor doesn't tell you if the fan is running or not, it predicts the state of the fan by monitoring the temperature of the Humax, this only works when the 'Fan' package is not running, if it is running as in your case, then you would expect system monitor to indicate low temperatures, it does this by saying the fan is off

Yes, I know this is confusing, the bottom line is that if you are running the 'Fan' package then System Monitor does not function correctly

The system monitor doesn't tell you if the fan is running or not, it predicts the state of the fan by monitoring the temperature of the Humax, this only works when the 'Fan' package is not running, if it is running as in your case, then you would expect system monitor to indicate low temperatures, it does this by saying the fan is off

Yes, I know this is confusing, the bottom line is that if you are running the 'Fan' package then System Monitor does not function correctly
Thanks for explaining it more clearly to me that will be why no high temperatures reported

Although the system monitor may not record if the fan is on or not when the 'Fan' package is installed, I believe the HDD temperature recording is correct.
You can check if your fan is working by the amount of noise or feel the airflow.
Alternatively you can change the fan speed by 30-50% to see if it affects the HDD temperature after 5 minutes, then change it back.

Although the system monitor may not record if the fan is on or not when the 'Fan' package is installed
Please can we stop propagating misunderstandings. sysmon does not record whether the fan is running, regardless of whether fan is installed.

The colour coding given in the sysmon HDD temperature graph is purely a prediction of what the standard Humax fan algorithm is expected to be setting the fan speed to, based entirely on the current HDD temperature.

no it doesn't, it says the fan is off when it is not
That is a misinterpretation and lack of explanation in the graph, not "does not function correctly". It does not and never has reported whether the fan is actually running. In fact, the footnote should read something like "Predicted fan settings based on the standard Humax algorithm only. Not actual reports of fan speed."

That is a misinterpretation and lack of explanation in the graph, not "does not function correctly". It does not and never has reported whether the fan is actually running. In fact, the footnote should read something like "Predicted fan settings based on the standard Humax algorithm only. Not actual reports of fan speed."
In that case, for users of the fan package setting to the recommended 40-50% speed won't the graph always just show a nice green area regardless even though the fan is always on?
I which case it you may as well get rid of the bit at the bottom - 'Fan full / Fall half / Fan Quarter / Fan off' ?
The bit at the bottom is totally meaningless/useless/waste of space and open to misinterpretation for anybody trying to use basic methods of graph reading by associating the displayed graphics with the text

The bit at the bottom is totally meaningless/useless/waste of space and open to misinterpretation for anybody trying to use basic methods of graph reading by associating the displayed graphics with the text
Yes, I'm sure you're right, but sysmon predates fan, and at the time it was a nice extra whistle to indicate (not report) the fan operation plus af123 was just cutting his teeth on the graphics display capabilities of Jim.

Nonetheless, sysmon is operating exactly as intended, so cannot be said to be functioning incorrectly (whether EP likes it or not). I agree it's not user-friendly, but this is a case of "it is what it is" and RTFM.

It has always been the case that the fan could actually be broken and the naive interpretation of sysmon would be that the fan was running (except the temperature chart wouldn't be going down).

Someone needs to update the chart logos in sysmon to remove the misleading text but getting package updates made is still difficult without @af123

Back