Can I copy recordings from DTR-T2000

You can't copy files between machines with a T2 unless the recordings are decrypted first.
(Using a disk imaging program seems rather a strange tool to use just to copy files in the first place.)

Regarding the question of copying recordings to an other hard drive from the Drive of a Fox T2 using Acronis, I used Acronis to copy a drive from one to put in a second machine and Acronis made the copy and I put it in the second machine after setting it up I looked at the list of recordings and it looked identical to the original , but on trying the recordings they did not play, there were the titles and the times etc listed as they should but there were no indication that the actual recordings were there.
But were the recordings decrypted? If not they wouldn't play in the second machine.

The other point I would make is that in my case anyway Acronis would not allow a copy to be made from a disk of a smaller size than the target disk (500GB to a 1TB) and ihave tried several times with different drives, I have found the disk had to be the same size. But I am not an expert so maybe I did not set it up properly.
I used Acronis for a short while until I found how tightly it gets bound onto your OS for no apparent reason and is a b***** to get rid of. I'm certain that you can backup to a smaller drive (provided it has enough space) or lager drive as it's what people do. I used Acronis because Windows cannot do large to smaller. I now use AOMEI Backupper (free version) and its great. Will do everything I want it to do.

If it is using drive imaging (rather than file copy), of course it can't back up to a smaller drive.

Well then just explain how I can 'clone' (AOMEI's name for drive imaging) from a 240GB SSD to a 120GB SSD as a form of backup for my lappy if it can't do it. I can also adjust partition space at the same time if I wish. It 'copies' all partitions so is as close to an image as you will ever need. And the 'copy' boots and runs OK.
The other thing wrong with this (and my) argument is that the OP was trying to 'clone' to a larger size not a smaller size. The windows 'clone' will go to a larger size, but not a smaller size even if there was enough space for the clone.

Last edited:
If the image is smaller than the original, then clearly there has been some optimisation going on and the "image" is not an exact duplicate. That relies on the imaging program having knowledge of the disk structure / file system, and what is safe to ignore. If you are imaging a file system the program has no knowledge of (Ext3 in the case of a drive from a Humax box), the imaging program either says "can't do it" or makes an exact copy (redundant areas included).

Admittedly, my AOMEI is dealing with Windows partitions not EXT3, but I wonder why is Boyd had problems with Acronis 'cloning' a drive onto a larger one?
Using AOMEI, you can adjust partition size before you do the 'copy'. If left to it's own devices, it will just clone and leave a bunch of unallocated space on a larger drive and you have to use Partition Assistant to sort it out after but it will just shrink the partitions on a smaller drive.

Well then just explain how I can 'clone' (AOMEI's name for drive imaging) from a 240GB SSD to a 120GB SSD as a form of backup for my lappy if it can't do it.
"Clone" is not an exact copy -
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/clone said:
[specialized computing] a computer that operates in a very similar way to the one that it was copied from
-> very similar NOT exact.
To get the contents of a 240GB disk onto a 120GB disk there must have been less that 120GB data on the 240GB disk! The only things that can be safely ignored are pagefile/swapfile sizes and registry backups.
Disk imaging should be an exact copy and would not allow big into small, but does allow small into big. I know, I've done it and you end up with unallocated space on the big drive.

"Clone" is not an exact copy -
Boyd used the term Copy (from small to big)and Acronis wouldn't do it.
To get the contents of a 240GB disk onto a 120GB disk there must have been less that 120GB data on the 240GB disk!
I thought that I has said that somewhere. Yes, obviously there was less than 120GB data on the 240GB disc
Disk imaging should be an exact copy and would not allow big into small, but does allow small into big. I know, I've done it and you end up with unallocated space on the big drive.
But that's what Boyd says he can't do at post #20 so I suspect that it is one of his settings, colloquially known as "finger trouble".:D

I'm certain that you can backup to a smaller drive (provided it has enough space) or lager drive as it's what people do. I

It tends to be messy, though! Most people just tend to drink it. :whistling:

May be off topic:
I used Acronis for a short while until I found how tightly it gets bound onto your OS for no apparent reason and is a b***** to get rid of.
Too bl***y right! I don't remember installing Acronis. After reading this thread, I found it on my computer. Tried to get rid of it and was rewarded with an infinite loop of BSOD (even when booting Safe Mode). Luckily, I had a backup image to recover as the cloned disk I had created turned out to be useless.

Here you go. All you want for a backup image. AOMEI Backupper and to screw around with HDD partitions, AOMEI Partition Assistant, although you can resize partitions from within Backupper.
Acronis really buries itself deeply into the registry for no apparent reason. Its uninstaller doesn't restore stuff and removing the various entries has to be done in a very specific order or else you get a BSOD loop.

Back