Can onbox EPG search keywords be changed from Webif

Terrahawk

I use the TvDiary package a lot. I thought a nice idea would be if the top 5 upcoming programme titles at any given time, as listed in TVDiary's watchlist, automatically populated within the onbox EPG seach keywords. This would allow a quick onbox search for upcoming programs of interest. I see that the keywords are listed on Webif's EPG search page but cannot be modified.

The keywords are listed in the tbl_userconfig of setup.db. Does the box also read from this database table or is populated for Webif only?

I thought perhaps another use of the keywords might be as a kind of onbox notification space. Perhaps showing some text when a particular package of interest automatically updates such as tunefix.

I rarely use the onbox EPG search, it is so much easier to search the EPG via the webif or RS

I don't think you can directly update the setup.db and have it affect the box but there is a boot-settings package where you can specify that values for many settings and have them applied at each restart.

The epg search keywords are not currently on the list of values that can be set but af123 could probably add them to the list.

Automatically updating those keywords from another package would be another level of complexity and would there be sufficient value/demand to make the effort worthwhile!

I thought perhaps another use of the keywords might be as a kind of onbox notification space. Perhaps showing some text when a particular package of interest automatically updates such as tunefix.
A notification is only useful if it is visible and to me the keywords are invisible - putting a message into the title and file name of a dummy recording would be more visible to me. Packages can already display notifications at the top of the webif pages when needed.

I rarely use the onbox EPG search, it is so much easier to search the EPG via the webif or RS

I tend to use Webif when searching and scheduling the weeks upcoming films. I generally use the on-box EPG when looking for something to watch at any particular time. The keywords are only one button press from the EPG and would be a quick way of seeing what's upcoming in TV Diary's watch list.

I don't think you can directly update the setup.db and have it affect the box but there is a boot-settings package where you can specify that values for many settings and have them applied at each restart.

This seems to be the case. I tried updating the keyword within the database but it's not picked up on the box.

A notification is only useful if it is visible and to me the keywords are invisible

A fair comment. A possibility might be to display the keywords when the box is first powered up or at a scheduled time. The remote control package could be used to send the sequence of key pressed to display the page.

The remote control package could be used to send the sequence of key pressed to display the page.
No it couldn't. There is no sequence of key presses that can be used to get you to that point from an unspecified state of the user interface

Yes it could (as long as it doesn't rely on the Menu button). Messy though.

Back