Cannot copy a large file to the HD with Samba support

infracom2011

I’ve now attached a 1TB drive to the HD-FOX-T2. Custom software with Samba support is installed. Samba seemed to work fine for both read and write. But when I try to copy a large file, 2.5GB, to the drive from Windows using copy-and-paste under Windows Explorer I am told by Windows that the file is too large for the file system. I get this with Vista and Win7. Reading a large file is OK and writing it to the HD with ftp is OK. It’s as if the Samba is presenting the drive to Windows as a FAT32 network drive and so has a 2GB size limitation.

I have answered your query on DS. See this thread.

This may not be the answer, though. The original fault just caused files to be truncated - I don't recall any messages being generated.

I have answered your query on DS. See this thread.

This may not be the answer, though. The original fault just caused files to be truncated - I don't recall any messages being generated.

Not a truncation. First a box asking if I want to overwrite the file already there - zero bytes so I guess from the previous failed attempt. Then when I say Yes, a message saying file is too large for the destination file system.

FAT32 has a 4GB file size limit, I believe.

Of course you are correct (1 byte short of 4GB). The problem appears to be that this file is corrupt in some way although why is unclear. It was originally a decrypted copy of a HD file on the HDR-FOX-T2 that I wanted to copy to the 1 TB drive that is now attached to the HD-FOX-T2. All other files in the HDR directory copied OK except this one, and it's the only one above 2GB. But although it plays OK on the HDR and apparently copies OK to Windows using Samba it will not play under Windows with WMP or VLC. Now it has been copied with ftp to the HD-FOX-T2 it will not play there either. So it appears to be corrrupt in some way that upsets the Samba interface. But corruption produces corruption so I'll delete it and carry on.

I, too had this issue trying to copy a 3.5GB mkv file using Samba in win7 64bit. Repeatedly no go with no space left on device errors, and zero length files left. I resorted to copying it directly onto the HD external HDD. As far as I am aware, both boxes up to date with latest samba. So it's not the 4GB limit, more like the 2GB limit.

I was transferring files by USB, and I hit one that just kept going and filling up the space indefinitely!

Back