Cannot see copied files

Jim Craddock

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me with this issue.

I have a film on dvd that I want to play on my HDR (let's say it's Jaws as that's a short title to type!) I used AnyDVD to rip to the computer's hard drive, then joined the sections (*.VOB) together using Bandicut. I then ran the new .VOB through raydon's AV2HDR, which produced the three files Jaw_20230212_1740.ts/nts/hmt. The .TS file is over 7Gb so I cannot copy it to the pvr by using a usb drive (exceeds the 4Gb limit for FAT32). So I used FileZilla, and copied the three files to the Video folder on the pvr.

But I cannot see the file when I look on the pvr (under Media).

I am aware that each recording seems to have a folder with the same name as the recording but preceded with a period (ie, .Jaws_20230212_1740), so I made that folder, but still no luck. The other folders seem to have several .TAC files in them, with seemingly random numerical names (0.tac, 1458.tac, 2232.tac, etc), but I have no idea what they contain. And copying a bunch of these from another folder did not make any difference - still cannot see my new file.

When I browse media files using the webif interface, there is my Jaws file! So I know it is physically there.

Try using the Webif rename function on the film. Click on the OPT icon, then select 'Rename' and then update. You don't actually need to change it but you can if you want to confirm something has changed.

Then check to see if it is visible in media.

You're welcome.
If you select an HDR folder and use the FTP option in Raydon's AV2HDR when you create the file set instead of filezilla it negates the requirement.

The HDR keeps track of file sets if it records them itself or if they are moved via the remote control.
If a file set is transplanted in or moved (not using the remote control) then the HDR can't recognise them.

Using the webif rename updates the file set so it can get indexed properly.
Raydon's utility makes the file set 'right' if you specify the folder that you are going to use on the HDR - and it will also FTP the file set to the right place.

I believe the TAC files are to do with the 'preview' images that get shown before you play a recording. They get created by the HDR but aren't necessary.

There's also the mass fixing plugin called 'fixfilepaths' which scans the whole Video folder looking for and correcting file set locations (where possible). This also logs any orphans that it finds but can't fix.

Last edited:
Thanks Dino for the explanation, that seems to make sense. Don't know why I didn't think to FTP them from AV2HDR, but I will certainly give that a go.

I've also installed fixfilepaths (would you set it to Auto so it runs all the time)?

Now to try with Jaws2...

Thanks again for all your help Dino. That seems to have solved my problem completely, and explained to me why it works. WebIf + Rename, or fixfilepaths both did the job.

With reference to using FTP to send the files from AV2HDR, it seems very slow (75 mins for 4Gb), and FileZilla was quicker (50mins for 4Gb). Another potential advantage with using FileZilla is that several files can be stacked FTP-ing as a batch job, whereas AV2HDR will only handle one at a time.

I'm now running out of Jaws films - maybe I should have gone with Rocky instead!

Back