Can't Access TV Portal

HDR-FOX can do that.

I have no problem with the users of this forum being made aware of another manufacturers PVR, but it's getting rather like a product placement.

HDR-FOX can do that.

I have no problem with the users of this forum being made aware of another manufacturers PVR, but it's getting rather like a product placement.

To be frank - what a ridiculous and petty comment. You said in post 5 other members of the forum would be interested if I found a better PVR. I have, so I only posted on the Panasonic because you said people would be interested. My follow up post were answering members questions. However it's consistent with the style of your other comments, for example, on the 2000T where I'd owned it for a day and it couldn't connect to the internet - you defended it by saying it was working as far as a PVR's functionality was concerned errr...I expect a product to work in the manner the manufacturer outlines i.e. as described. Good grief. Life's too short.

I am interested in the Panasonic, but I would like confirmation that the high def content can be copied unencrypted onto an external drive and played on other equipment by means other than DLNA streaming. The external hard drives have to be registered on the Panasonic to work: is the drive in a 'friendly' format such as EXT3 or NTFS, or is it something less generally compatible such as XFS or a proprietary format? Assuming that the format is compatible, if you plug a Panasonic drive into a PC, can you play hi def content with one of the standard players (VLC etc.)? As the BBC require encryption of hi def programmes (and got permission from OFCOM to allow this) I think it unlikely that the content is unencrypted, but I am eager to be proven wrong.

To be frank - what a ridiculous and petty comment.
Admit it - you have taken every opportunity to scatter gun the forum with having solved your problems by buying a Panasonic.

You said in post 5 other members of the forum would be interested if I found a better PVR.
Fine. So we can open a specific topic in a suitable section of the forum for you to review it properly (this topic will do at a push). So far all you have said is that it has built-in WiFi and more options for Internet streaming, and is less picky what media players it streams to. The HDMI issue is a non-issue, you clearly had a broken one and didn't bother trying out a replacement. WiFi is a non-issue unless you were using Humax's specified dongle. What we want is specific details about exporting StDef and HiDef recordings and experiences thereof, not vague statements that it works - that sounds like regurgitated sales pitch.

How well does it perform with AR? Can it be coaxed to record three simultaneous programmes? That sort of stuff. There's far more to deciding it's better than finding it happens to work so far.

What I am guilty of is forgetting we should compare it with a HDR-2000T not a HDR-FOX.

The OP has been rather unlucky, having to return both a HDR-FOX T2 and a HDR-2000T within the space of a few of days. What was that Panny model again?;)

It can be played externally. Not only that, as the Panasonic is a media renderer it can stream the content to my PC.
But there is a bold statement in a box at the beginning of page 54 of the Panasonic manual that says:
"This unit cannot copy the titles in the HDD to the media..."
Interesting!

EDIT: the media is referring to anything attached to the USB/SD socket.

The Pansonic DMR-HWT230 has now replaced the 2000 and the T2. It is a far superior PVR. Picture quality is excellent.
I never understand people who write drivel like this. All PVRs record and replay exactly what is transmitted. They all produce identical picture quality.
I guess some people just don't understand what they write.

From #10 Panasonic DMR-HWT230
Thanks Ezra, I was being a bit tongue in cheek as the model number has been mentioned in so many threads it is now hard to forget! On re-reading several of these threads, together they do look like some sort of low-rent, astroturf, viral marketing campaign. If I am wrong, I will gladly apologise to the OP.

O.K., sorry for not detecting the sarcasm :). I don't think the OP is trying to sell the Panasonic necessarily , but I do think he's p***ed off with Humax big time and is having a swing at them in this thread

I'm not trying to sell the Panasonic or otherwise. I had several replacement T2's due to faults during 18 months of ownership. One of them sent directly from Humax and wouldn't even power up. To then trust Humax again and buy the 2000T to find it couldn't connect to the TV portal and Humax telling me this is a known issue which I should accept is a ridiculous expectation on their part and another disappointing experience with Humax for my part. As for getting further involved with the pro's and con's of the Panasonic or Humax I decline given the tone of some of the posts in this thread. There is the point that I actually couldn't give a toss anyway. I now have a PVR that works and does what the manufacturer says it will which is good enough for me - a far cry from my experience with Humax. Problem solved as far as I'm concerned so no point in investing any more time. The only reason I commented on the Pansonic at all was because Black Hole said members would be interested in it. If my comments are not descriptive enough or you find them salesy that's your problem - it's of no interest to me.. Clearly commenting at all was a mistake as it opens up some petty tit for tat type discussions which are a waste of time getting involved with.

Fair enough. I apologise for suggesting that you were anything other than genuine. I have bought quite a lot of Panny stuff over the years and am genuinely interested in getting answers to the questions I asked in posts #24 and #32.

DMR-HWT230/DMR-HWT130 manual p.61 said:
If you intend to move recorded titles to a USBHDD, the USBHDD must be registered to this unit first. Limitation information
•Registering of a USBHDD will format the USBHDD and all the content already recorded will be deleted.
•Up to eight USBHDDs can be registered on this unit.
•Registered USBHDDs cannot be used with devices other than this unit
It seems that programmes can be archived to a USB HDD, but this content can only be played on the PVR it was recorded on.
DMR-HWT230/ DMR-HWT130 manual p.56 said:
DLNA. Using this unit as Server
Footnote: The titles with access restriction (e.g., copy restriction) signals sent from broadcasters are not available for this function
I take this as meaning that hi def content is not streamed by the DLNA server, but it would be good to get confirmation.

Back