can't ftp hummy

wiab4355

After changing router, I now can't ftp either Humax boxes. Both boxes have been rebooted since the changeover and the ip addresses haven't changed (set manually) so I'm a bit flummoxed as to why Filezilla doesn't work anymore!

Hope you can help

"can't" and "doesn't work" don't convey any useful information, so I'm not sure what you expect anyone to say.

Clearly it's a problem with the configuration of your router. What do you expect us to do about it? If you don't know how to administrate your new router, perhaps you had better go back to your old router... or ask on a support forum for the router in question. Bear in mind any tweaking you did to ensure the router would accept your manually-set IP addresses will not have automatically migrated to the new router, which might well have a different DHCP pool.

What about WebIF? Is it only FTP not working or is it the whole gamut?

You could also try turning it off and on again (don't laugh).

prpr - Sorry about that. Not being very techy, I don't know what useful information is needed.

Black Hole - I'll do that

WebIF is fine. I used it to download a radio show, so maybe I don't need ftp any more (I'll get my coat!).

Curious. Assuming you haven't fiddled with anything at the HDR-FOX end nor the Filezilla end since FTP last worked, that can only mean the router is blocking FTP protocol as some kind of security measure. I think it's just a case of going into the admin control panel and finding the appropriate setting. Googling the router model + FTP might yield an answer.

As you have discovered, there are several ways to skin the cat. Another is to use SMB file sharing (samba package).

Communication is not via the router if on the same subnet. It's via the switch on the front end of it (from the LAN-side point of view). <sigh>
Fiddling with router configuration will achieve nothing.
Not being very techy, I don't know what useful information is needed.
Quoting the error messages would at least be a start. And the IP addresses of the boxes and your PC, just in case your (presumed) new DHCP range is not the same as the old static range.
You didn't say you were customised and you've posted in the non-customised section too. Have you installed the betaftpd package and is it enabled/running?

Communication is not via the router if on the same subnet. It's via the switch on the front end of it (from the LAN-side point of view). <sigh>
...but consumer kit is a switch, router, WiFi AP, and line interface combined, so non-IT people (including me) call the whole box a "router", and the control panel has settings for all those bits. Take it or leave it. <sigh>

Have you installed the betaftpd package and is it enabled/running?
I did say
Assuming you haven't fiddled with anything at the HDR-FOX end
, but that didn't cover the possibility of the FTP service having stopped running. Good call. Is betaftpd one of the fix-flash-packages targets?

..but consumer kit is a switch, router, WiFi AP, and line interface combined, so non-IT people (including me) call the whole box a "router", and the control panel has settings for all those bits.
It's not what it's called that matters. It's how it works. Your typical home 'router' can not block communication between (wired) devices on the same subnet (wireless stuff is excepted, as often there is no forwarding between wireless devices, but if that was the case the WebIf wouldn't work), regardless of what you may think.
But as the OP doesn't seem to know anything or give any details it's difficult to know.
Is betaftpd one of the fix-flash-packages targets?
No, seeing as none of its components is in flash.

Fiddling with router configuration will achieve nothing.

Quoting the error messages would at least be a start. And the IP addresses of the boxes and your PC, just in case your (presumed) new DHCP range is not the same as the old static range.
You didn't say you were customised and you've posted in the non-customised section too. Have you installed the betaftpd package and is it enabled/running?
error message - Connection refused: connect. The connection attempt was rejected. The server may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.

ip addresses - box 1 = 192.168.0.21, box 2 = 192.168.0.28, pc = 192.168.0.141

betaftpd package not installed

Is the FTP server enabled on the on-screen Settings, System, Internet settings menu then?

Are you able to switch your routers back, just to see whether FTP springs back into life?

Are you a CF user? If so, disable the built-in FTP and install the betaftpd package - it's more stable.

We know you're a CF user, so why ever not give betaftpd a go?

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = Off
WebIF >> Package Management >> Available >> betaftpd >> Install

and reboot. Simples.

Back