[CFW 3.13] Customised Firmware v3.13 released.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
Customised firmware 3.13 has been released with the following changes:

3.13 (28.04.2017)
  • Backport kernel fix for CVE-2016-5195 (Dirty Cow vulnerabilty);
  • Backport kernel fix for CVE-2016-10229 (arbitrary code execution via UDP traffic);
  • Do not attempt to use DNS during modinit/setup_hosts.
The only functional change is the last one which resolves a fairly uncommon problem where startup of the custom firmware components can be delayed by up to a minute, usually leading to the display of a web page saying that the internal hard disk has not been found. This was being caused due to timeouts doing DNS resolution for the address of the default gateway. Even if you weren't suffering from the 60 second delay, this change should improve the startup time of the web interface.

The other two changes are security fixes to the kernel - HDR model only.

I've had this marvellous software for donkeys' years and I thought it updated automatically. However I'm on version 3.0 and there is a 3.13. How can I get updated to 3.13? I have searched and searched and read all kinds of irrelevant information but nowhere does it say "here's how to check for customised firmware updates and here's how to apply them". At least I can't find it. There's a massive amount of information and not enough rationalising and indexing I believe. And very few individuals capable of doing any - for which thank you very much!

I've had this marvellous software for donkeys' years and I thought it updated automatically. However I'm on version 3.0 and there is a 3.13. How can I get updated to 3.13? I have searched and searched and read all kinds of irrelevant information but nowhere does it say "here's how to check for customised firmware updates and here's how to apply them". At least I can't find it. There's a massive amount of information and not enough rationalising and indexing I believe. And very few individuals capable of doing any - for which thank you very much!
It's the packages that update automatically, if you install the auto-update package. The CF itself is stored in Flash (as a replacement for the Humax firmware), so has to be updated the same as you would the Humax firmware - ie by downloading an image to USB then plugging it in and performing the normal firmware update procedure (I know there used to be automatic over-the-air updates, but no CF user wants those and they're gone now anyway).

As far as indexing is concerned - it's me who does most of that on the forum itself, and another strand of indexing is the Wiki (click). The information you should have been looking for is posted at the top of the forum listing - see New Readers Start Here (click). From there you should be guided to http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-start-guide.1301/, which tells you where to find the downloads and how to install them.

Regarding knowing when there is a new issue of CF, just keep an eye on the forum. You might decide to hold off - 3.13 has been around for a very long time and 3.14 is in the cooking pot. It doesn't really matter that much about updating the CF - the functionality doesn't change much, all that is handled by the packages. The most likely reason to need an update is for better diagnostic tools.

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance on upgrading custom firmware and I've managed to achieve that.
I think I've installed FlexView now (last time round it wanted 3.13 FW). So I'll resume trying to work out how to use it :)

I am trying to download the latest Custom Firmware (1.03.12 mod 3.13) for a replacement unit I have bought off ebay. However when I click on the link on the firmware downloads page, it does not appear to work anymore?
Does anybody have any ideas please.

Yes am using that link. For some reason when i click on the link it will open up a new tab and show loading in the tab, but after about a second the tab just disappears?

Yes am using that link. For some reason when i click on the link it will open up a new tab and show loading in the tab, but after about a second the tab just disappears?
Yes I have seen that behaviour before with Google Chrome. Try copying the URL and pasting it into the address bar; that works for me.

Yes thanks for that. I have just delved further and you are correct it is a Google Chrome download issue. It was blocking the file from downloading by saying insecure download blocked.
I have now managed to go into the chrome download settings and override it for this file, so I have now managed to download it.
Thanks for your help.

I am trying to download HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.13.zip (link http://hpkg.tv/rpc/cfwget.html?file=HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.13.zip) to update from my current 3.12. Whether I click on the link directly, or copy and paste the link, I get to a Google Drive sign-in page. If I sign in to Google Drive, I'm told I don't have permission to see the file. This happens on (Windows 10) Firefox and Edge (I don't have Chrome); no luck on Android either. Clicking on the second link post #10 results in the same behaviour. Any suggestions?

I am trying to download HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.13.zip (link http://hpkg.tv/rpc/cfwget.html?file=HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.32_mod_3.13.zip) to update from my current 3.12. Whether I click on the link directly, or copy and paste the link, I get to a Google Drive sign-in page. If I sign in to Google Drive, I'm told I don't have permission to see the file. This happens on (Windows 10) Firefox and Edge (I don't have Chrome); no luck on Android either. Clicking on the second link post #10 results in the same behaviour. Any suggestions?
I have just tried, and downloaded it first time, via the copy and paste method using chrome.

Chrome behaves exactly the same for me. (Whether Windows 10 or Android). Once logged in to Google Drive, either clicking on the link directly, or copying it (with "right click-> copy link address", then "+" for a new tab, then "right click-> paste in search / URL bar") results in:
Chrome_403_forbiddenPNG.PNG

Back