Channel 4 or All4 Apps

Tell

Anybody who has it does it have the Channel 4 or All4 app on it. Screen shots would suggest it does.

As you probably know C4 has been a bit funny about release an Android TV app for All4. Chromecast with Google TV apps do work on Android TV... well some do. eg. the BBC iPlayer radio app. Like this one

That on Android TV causes the screen to flash then the BBC login and you are away with the iPlayer radio app. That one has been uploaded to Aptoide TV.

So a screen shot of the Google Playstore address of All4 / Channel 4 app for Aura if indeed it has one means you can unpick it's location and get a copy of it. Plus anything else of interest that aren't on normal Android TV boxes.

Presume one can extract the APK of this from the box.

Perhaps they could be uploaded to Aptoide TV for us Nvidia box people :).

There are frigging app that raid the Google Playstore if you know the address which is another way.

Thanks.

Good now I'd like the apk file exported and uploaded Aptoide TV. Apkextractor does that but there are other utilities. I'm kind of expecting it will load into a general Android TV box.... unless it's routed.

The other way is providing the Google Play package address for it in the library not the mobile one then one can try and find it, there are tools. Better to liberate the APK and post it to an APK sharing site. Happy with both. :).

E.g. for Pandora radio app

The index

com.pandora.android.atv

Is the key to finding it if one is using the Playstore.

Btw

Reason for this moved out of London, no Freeview HD transmitter in the country where one lives, went over to Freesat. Channel 4 fell out with Freesat so you don't get C4 in HD nor the app on the Humax Freesat box. Use Nvidia Android TV as the media server and the old Humax Freeview HDR is the glorified fileserver running the custom software. Also have a 1tb SSD connected to the Nvidia as external storage. Humax HER still has it uses even thou there is no TV UHF aerial in the property. Missing bit from Android TV is All4, you can cast or side load the mobile app, but better to have a proper designed for the TV app. Got quite a few foreign apps installed on it now. Bit like motorised sat TV but with catch up :).

Last edited:
What happens if you side load APK Extractor does it see the All4 app and can you extract it ?.

This is not "The Arms"
It's not... but when it takes three reads to work it out I give up any interest I might have had. "Routed" works in grammatical context, but means something different. And appropriate punctuation is an aid to comprehension without guesswork.

I must admit to finding the whole post heavy going and just didn't bother as I thought to myself "What the hell are you talking about?", so completely missed rooted.

Btw was about I'm stuffed for 4HD since in rural Wales we don't get the Freeview HD transmitter, the previous owner didn't bother with a UHF aeriel, just put a sat dish up. Not paying for Sky. Freesat, 4 had a squabble with Freesat and pulled the HD channels and the All4 app off the Humax Freesat box in March 2018 and that's how it's stayed for getting on for three years. Whilst you can take Freesat boxes out of Freesat mode and watch 4HD aimed at Sky customers where they pay their EPG carrier fee, it's the Freesat EPG carrier fee they fell out about, you can't record so they pulled their app from Humax Freesat boxes at the same time.

Also had Virgin in London which is why I'm missing the player side. Prefer not to cast. Why I'm not paying for pay TV, paid for 20 years of it in London, but never watched pay channels.

Hence the need for the Android TV app for All4 which they refuse to give to Android TV platforms by not putting it in the Google Playstore. Firestick one doesn't work on vanilla Android TV.

So Android TV guys have been trying to get an all4 one out of 4 for about 4 years leading writing campaigns. All amounted to zero so far. It's covered across boards.

Hence why I was asking a kind soul to extract the APK for All4 out of the box and try it on a vanilla Android TV platform. I suspect the guys behind the custom software might know how to get it to work if not. The NZ TVNZ app and NZ Three app are sensitive too an NZ Freeview standard. The guy(s) over there edit it and distribute to work with vanilla Android TV boxes like the Nvidia. Ozzie apps don't need fiddling with. Such luck has not been had with the Amazon Firestick version of all4, hence why I thought a bright spark on here could extract it out for me. Happy to try it. If it needs editing that won't be me but there are people about who know what to do.... especially in New Zealand.

The Xda-developers forum has yet to look at the Humax apk.

I see Barry has more people on his board but this one has always been technically stronger although you have a long thread on the launch... not much on it's use. Hope the techie guys don't all have Covid here. Hope we havent lost the spirit of adventure here either :).

Btw the Humax Android TV box probably isn't rooted, that was a red herring. Suppliers of Android TV apps make sure the apps don't work on rooted boxes to protect copyright but do put in code in so they only work on designated boxes that meet their standards. Hence why the NZ apps get liberated of the software trap. Suspect the Humax box has its own Google market place (that which I was asking to be identified) or when the firmware is updated specific Humax designated only apps get shipped out with it. The latter happen with some Nvidia apps where the BBC iPlayer has its own app but it's not in the Google market place. Has its own index code outside of that. This is where you need the Aura index code to get hold of the apps or export to look at them.

Good or bad news Freesat and Freeview are getting into bed with each other so C4 will be a business partner in the new outfit. Hopefully we will get All4 back on Freesat boxes and the HD linear 4HD.... but then Freesat has bailed out of Humax. Lot of egos around.

Last edited:
Back