Channels not found - 64 QAM MUXes

I have also had a response from Humax by email which states "This is because the unit has two tuners and the signal is not sufficient enough for the unit to pick them up"

So they are blaming signal rather than the tuner. I presume they are meaning the signal is split to each tuner without any boosting? But if this is the case what about the signal to the aerial output, is this the same or better than that being fed to each tuner? I ask because if it the same or worse then the problem must be due to poor tuner design since the Panasonic TV off the back of the Humax has no problems with finding all channels, and displaying pictures without any blockiness.

Does your Tv pick up the 64QAM channels if the aerial is plugged directly into it instead of loopling through the HDR. It could be the Humax is boosting the signal slightly ?

On the same note, Have you tried using a booster/amplifier on you aerial to improve the signal into the HDR ? I am currently using one which boosts everything from ~25/30% signal strength to around 40/50%. It makes all the difference to my signal stability - you never know if could help you finding the missing channels.

I have just tried connecting in/out aerial leads together from the Humax. OK, so the connecting of two leads together (male/female coax plugs) may lose a little signal but far easier than pulling leads out of my AV cabinet and having to re-install them! Signal strength on the Panasonic reduces from about 75% to about 60%, but signal quality remains at 10. So even if Humax does boost signal a little the Panasonic tuner will still cope with the lower signal. Again leads me to believe that Humax tuners in the HDR aren't that good.

I have thought about a booster but it already has a distribution amplifier which feeds aerial signal to coax sockets around the house. Its a fairly old one which works well with everything else but maybe worth replacing. My thought was to use a higher gain distribution amplifier but one with variable gain so that I can use minimum gain, and hence minimum noise, to achieve a decent signal. Then when they finally turn the power up on Mendip next year I can reduce the gain somewhat.

Back