Clock change Sunday 29/3 - Help! Urgent!

sh2811

Hi.

Mental block... if I set an automatic recording, i.e. go to the guide and select that programme rather than manually enter the channel number and time etc, the stored time in the schedule is correct.

Let's say I want to record a programme on BBC1 at 08:00 to 09:00 on Sunday 29/3/20 (so after the clocks change) and select it from the guide, the schedule shows BBC1 08:00 to 09:00 correctly.

If I want to adjust the start and stop times to give me a few minutes padding either side, say 07:57 - 09:03, as soon as I 'click' on the entry in the schedule to give me the pop up box (reservation) where you can adjust the channel number, date, start and end times etc, it automatically changes the start and end times to 07:00 and 08:00 respectively.

I'm going to be away for a few days and want to adjust few recordings so I don't miss the start or end. Would I need to make the start and end times 06:57 and 08:03 rather than 07:57 and 09:03? Will the box adjust all the manually set timers correctly?

Hoping for a speedy reply!! I haven't done this for a while and can't remember how the box copes with the change. I know that the box needs to be on for a while to correctly change the clock (at 01:00 on Sunday morning) so will set a manual recording to bring the box on at say 00:40 and record for an hour or more to be safe. That should set the correct time shouldn't it. Once the clock changes at 01:00 will it then change all the manual timers?

Many thanks.
Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
Once the clock changes at 01:00 will it then change all the manual timers?
No

If I want to adjust the start and stop times to give me a few minutes padding either side, say 07:57 - 09:03, as soon as I 'click' on the entry in the schedule to give me the pop up box (reservation) where you can adjust the channel number, date, start and end times etc, it automatically changes the start and end times to 07:00 and 08:00 respectively.

I'm going to be away for a few days and want to adjust few recordings so I don't miss the start or end. Would I need to make the start and end times 06:57 and 08:03 rather than 07:57 and 09:03? Will the box adjust all the manually set timers correctly?
No it won't change adjusted timers to a different time. Any adjusted timers you set/update will record at the time it states from its display clock.

Use a Reminder to make sure that the box updates its time shortly after 1am on Sunday, and for any timers that you have adjusted, or entered entirely manually, make sure that they read correctly as per the time it will be when they broadcast.

I know that the box needs to be on for a while to correctly change the clock (at 01:00 on Sunday morning) so will set a manual recording to bring the box on at say 00:40 and record for an hour or more to be safe. That should set the correct time shouldn't it.
Fingers crossed,
Quite a few years ago there was an error where the freeview broadcast didn't update the time between BST and GMT until Sunday afternoon. Hopfully there won't be a repeat of that.

I also want to set some things that are over a week away so have to set them manually anyway as the guide only gives 7 days. Using the padding option in the recording settings won't work either I think as I have some recordings that end and start at the same times on different channels and I think it would start missing too many start times on the later ones. I have padding set to off normally.
Thanks again.

Thanks Luke.

So for the 08:00 to 09:00 that I want to pad I should manually set it as 07:57 to 09:03?

Great. Thought that's what you meant. My brain is full of too much other stuff to think clearly at the moment! Huge thanks for the speedy replies.

All the best.
Stu

Sorry, but I may have jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

If you set the manual timers via selecting "New Reservation" when you are viewing the schedule then it is as I described.

But I now realise that is not what you are doing. If you create a timer for a programme via selecting one in the epg and then editing it something strange happens when it is cuurently GMT but the programmes are BST and I don't know for sure what will happen.

Hi Luke.

Yes I see what you mean.

If I set Salvage Hunters on Quest (SD or HD) on Sunday morning (which is listed as 08:00 to 09:00) the result varies as you said...

via epg - schedule shows 08:00 to 09:00 Salvage Hunters,
via reservation - schedule shows 08:00 to 09:00 Wheeler Dealers (which is by actually entering 08:00 and 09:00 as the start and end times).

Wheeler Dealers is on at 09:00 so the schedule isn't working out the clock change yet.

Does anyone know for sure what I would need to set in this example to record Salvage Hunters at 08:00 (or rather 07:57 actual time)?

Thanks.

If I want to adjust the start and stop times to give me a few minutes padding either side, say 07:57 - 09:03, as soon as I 'click' on the entry in the schedule to give me the pop up box (reservation) where you can adjust the channel number, date, start and end times etc
Why would you want to do that? Doesn't the 1800T have auto-padding?

I am actually using both methods... selecting via the epg for the first 7 days but then manually entering a reservation after the 7 days when the epg is empty.

If I edit the manually entered reservation by adjusting the start time ('left arrowing' it to knock off a minute at a time) to 07:57 and then the end time to 09:03 it changes the name from Wheeler Dealers to Salvage Hunters which is correct because at 07:57 on Sunday morning it will be the last few minutes of Salvage Hunters.

Sorry Black Hole, it is a 2000T and I don't use auto-padding normally. If I have four things programmed such as...

Monday BBC1 20:00 to 21:00, BBC2 20:00 to 21:00, ITV 21:00 to 22:00 and C4 21:00 to 22:00 and set maybe 5 mins of padding won't it miss the first five minutes of both the 21:00 programmes as it would keep recording BBC1 and BBC2 until 21:05ish?

I have never used auto padding so am happy to be told I am a berk and that the auto padding is clever enough to do the best job.

Well, I know nothing about 2000T (or 1800T), but on HDR-FOX manually editing a reservation destroys all series linking or broadcast time tracking. Auto-padding is there to do exactly what you want.

Info (for HDR-FOX) here: Things Every... (click) section 3.

Surely as long as the schedule shows the correct start and end times, with or without some sort of padding (manual or otherwise), AND the box has come on to adjust to the clock change they should record ok?

I know that manually editing it destroys the series links and transmitted start and end signals (is that how it still works). I have never used auto-padding simply because I am happy to either set a programme from the epg and leave it (not minding if I miss a minute or two) for any programmes that I don't really care about if that makes sense. For anything I want to make sure I get the whole thing I will add 3 or 4 minutes at the start and 5 or 6 at the end which generally works unless the schedule has really changed for that day. I have never really needed to use auto-padding and I have, possibly mistakenly, believed it wouldn't handle the 4 programme recording setup I described earlier.

For anything I want to make sure I get the whole thing I will add 3 or 4 minutes at the start and 5 or 6 at the end which generally works
That's what auto-padding is for, no need for manual editing. Or just rely on Accurate Recording to get it right (which it does on the major channels).

I have never really needed to use auto-padding and I have, possibly mistakenly, believed it wouldn't handle the 4 programme recording setup I described earlier.
Correct, you are mistaken. Padding is dropped if it causes a conflict, manual tweaks to a recording timer would not be.

And in line with the current trend to make three posts when one would do, here's another :frantic: :roflmao:

Well, I know nothing about 2000T (or 1800T), but on HDR-FOX manually editing a reservation destroys all series linking or broadcast time tracking. Auto-padding is there to do exactly what you want.
On the 2000T manual editing has exactly the same effect as you describe for the HDR-FOX.
Monday BBC1 20:00 to 21:00, BBC2 20:00 to 21:00, ITV 21:00 to 22:00 and C4 21:00 to 22:00 and set maybe 5 mins of padding won't it miss the first five minutes of both the 21:00 programmes as it would keep recording BBC1 and BBC2 until 21:05ish?
Auto padding may work, manual adjustment definately will not. Trying to record these items will probably involve the loss of part of some/all of the programmes. If you are not bothered about the quality (StdDef or HiDef) why not make use of the ITV+1 and C4+1 channels and avoid the conflict.

Back