Connecting 9200T to a Smart TV with no Scart

DavidK

Hi
I have an old Humax 9200T that still works fine and on which my wife has some recordings she still wants to access.

I have just upgraded our TV to a Panasonic TX-40DX700B UHD 4k Smart TV which does not have any Scart connectors. It has 3 HDMI, 3 USB and the legacy 5 x phono "Component" inputs. The 9200T has Scart and 3 x Phono "Composite" outputs.

Is it possible to still connect the two devices?

I have contacted Panasonic, but they had no suggestions.
I understand you can get Scart to HDMI, or RCA Composite to HDMI adapters. Of these, which would be best and are there any recommended products.
Also could I connect the 3 x Phone RCA Composite to the RCA Component putting the Yellow Video feed into the Green slot, and the Red and White Audio to the Red & White inputs?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also could I connect the 3 x Phone RCA Composite to the RCA Component putting the Yellow Video feed into the Green slot, and the Red and White Audio to the Red & White inputs?
According to the manual and according to the labeling on the TV itself that is the method that can be used.

Why do you have doubts?

I have just upgraded our TV to a Panasonic TX-40DX700B UHD 4k Smart TV which does not have any Scart connectors. It has 3 HDMI, 3 USB and the legacy 5 x phono "Component" inputs.
Got it!
No that is wrong. A sub-set of the "Component" doubles up as "Composite".

See the manual for how to connect a composite DVD player.

This TV, the same as the 40DX600 I just bought, understands both composute and component equally well. There may be 3 video input "RCA type" or "phono" sockets (plus 2 audio), but you can use just the top one for composite.

The manual has a page showing how to plug a camcorder in. Duplicate that method for any device that produces composite (plus stereo audio on the bottom 2 sockets).

DavidK's original suggestion of a three-wire phono will work fine. The rear panel of the Humax 9200 has three phono outputs (composite video and 2 audio) that correspond directly, so you can connect the box to the TV using a cheap 3-phono cable, or you could buy a scart to composite-plus-stereo wire. Both of these can be had off eBay very cheap, or out of any TV or AV stockist.

The same principle applies to a Humax 9300T (which I am using alongside a more modern box)

Back