Connection to internet failure, not.

Daveyuk

I was following a thread on the boot-settings anomaly, wherein the T2 always boots up in BBC ?Red Button mode, despite being told to use BBC 1. I did not have the old package installed, but I followed the advice to remove the current boot-settings and disable ota packeges, and reload them. Bu when I try to re--insatlla them, I get he message:
!! ERROR - No network connectivity to package repository !!
Check your Internet connection and DNS service and then try again.
But the T2 itself reports that it is successfully connected to the internet, and the DNS setting is correct. I have full access to the T2 via webif from my PC.
What do i do next?

wherein the T2 always boots up in BBC ?Red Button mode
That would be down to disable-ota. The OTA search can still be an annoyance, regardless that there are no updates to find, and so far as I know disable-ota has never been updated to take advantage of RTS so it still needs regular reboots to ensure it takes effect unless you also opt for a reminder schedule in the settings. If you choose to turn the reminder option off, you have to manually remove it from the schedule as well.

!! ERROR - No network connectivity to package repository !!
Use Telnet/Webshell and test with something simple such as:
Code:
ping google.com
Presuming that doesn't fail, it must be something at the other end causing your package load problem.

Thanks, I'll b back with some test results. Not sure what you mean by 'reminder schedule', though.
More later.

That would be down to disable-ota. The OTA search can still be an annoyance, regardless that there are no updates to find, and so far as I know disable-ota has never been updated to take advantage of RTS so it still needs regular reboots to ensure it takes effect unless you also opt for a reminder schedule in the settings. If you choose to turn the reminder option off, you have to manually remove it from the schedule as well.

Use Telnet/Webshell and test with something simple such as:
Code:
ping google.com
Presuming that doesn't fail, it must be something at the other end causing your package load problem.
Briefly, due to looking after wife who has just come home from hospital, this test failed. I'll report later. DNS settings look good, btw.

Briefly, due to looking after wife who has just come home from hospital, this test failed. I'll report later. DNS settings look good, btw.
Right. So as prpr (and I) suspected, your gateway isn't in fact working properly. The DNS isn't necessarily relevant.

Are you running on an Ethernet cable or a WiFi USB dongle? If wired, is that directly to the router or via some kind of WiFi or powerline bridge?

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP, then click Apply.

your gateway isn't in fact working properly.
We don't know that, 'cos all he said is "test failed" which is useless. Why he couldn't have said what the actual message was rather than his interpretation of it is beyond me. "DNS settings look good" doesn't convey any useful information to anybody else either.
Sometimes people just don't help themselves. I despair really. One wonders why he bothered asking.

We don't know that, 'cos all he said is "test failed" which is useless. Why he couldn't have said what the actual message was rather than his interpretation of it is beyond me. "DNS settings look good" doesn't convey any useful information to anybody else either.
Sometimes people just don't help themselves. I despair really. One wonders why he bothered asking.
Because I am unsure where to go to sort this out. Not everybody has as much knwoledge as you, which is why we ask for help. I was asked to try a test, I did, it failed, and I reported that. I am sorry we can't all see exactly what you want to know, or we wouldn't be asking for help.

Right. So as prpr (and I) suspected, your gateway isn't in fact working properly. The DNS isn't necessarily relevant.

Are you running on an Ethernet cable or a WiFi USB dongle? If wired, is that directly to the router or via some kind of WiFi or powerline bridge?

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP, then click Apply.
1. I have a cable from the Fritz!Box router to an unmanaged switch, which splits to: This particular Humax, Humax 1; another Humax, Humax 2 (not a Fox type, and no CF); a desktop PC which runs my Zoneminder and also acts as data backup every night. These are all hardwired.
2. I have been trying to understand the DNS settings, and also Network Gateway, which I was always hazy on. The Humax 1 address is 192.168.1.180, the Network mask is 255.255.255.0, the Gateway is 192.168.1.0. The DNS Server is 192.168.1.254, whci used to work. But now I see that the Fritzt!Box settings page shows that its DNS server is 212.23.3.100, but usually uses 212.23.6.100. I tried changing the Humax DNS server to match these, but to no avail.
3. When I said that the ping google.com test failed, I meanrt just that. There was no response at all.
I am sure that the answer is simple, and to those who do this for a living, will be a 'Duh!' answer, but I am asking for help. I thank you for it, as opposed to somebody else here.

I tried changing the Humax DNS server to match these, but to no avail.
No! Those 212... figures are what the router is using on the external Internet, not the appropriate IP addresses for devices on the internal network.

The correct and easy approach is to let the router define the Humax settings by DHCP, precisely as I specified in post 7. If you want to "freeze" the IP address after that by going manual, that's fine, but first you let the router set the correct subnet, gateway, and DNS. That's what happens when you connect through your WiFi with a tablet or whatever: DHCP.

Configuring IP Address (click)

There was no response at all.
That's what you needed to say - "failed" could mean anything.

the Gateway is 192.168.1.0. The DNS Server is 192.168.1.254
The gateway address is invalid, and will never work like that. It should be whatever your router's LAN IP address is. Presumably it it the same as the DNS server and should therefore be 192.168.1.254

The gateway address is invalid, and will never work like that. It should be whatever your router's LAN IP address is. Presumably it it the same as the DNS server and should therefore be 192.168.1.254
It was already 192.168.1.254 when I started this, (see note 2 above), but that clearly wasn't the answer. Moving on .....

No! Those 212... figures are what the router is using on the external Internet, not the appropriate IP addresses for devices on the internal network.

The correct and easy approach is to let the router define the Humax settings by DHCP, precisely as I specified in post 7. If you want to "freeze" the IP address after that by going manual, that's fine, but first you let the router set the correct subnet, gateway, and DNS. That's what happens when you connect through your WiFi with a tablet or whatever: DHCP.

Configuring IP Address (click)

That's what you needed to say - "failed" could mean anything.
Sorry. As I read it, there were two options to the test result, either 'ping' worked, in which case I would have seen a string of ping times, or it wouldn't work, in which case I would not see the stream of times. They weren't there, so I reported that the test had failed. If I had seen a fault message, I would have reported it. Again, moving on...
This morning, I set the Humazx 1 IP address up as DCHP, let it go, and it worked. Not surprisingly to you, but to great joy to me. Ditto with the so-far-unmentioned Humax 3, another Fox T2, connected by WiFi and a WiFi Extender, with the last connection wired.
Even the Portal now works, not that I ever use it! Streaming , iPlayer etc are what Humax 2 is for.
So many thanks indeed for the help and explanations. The reason I don't normally like DCHP is that at one time I was using it, it changed the address of the Desktop PC each time it started, and my backup scripts never knew where to go with the files to be transferred. Since then, I usually keep to manual addressing to maintain control.
As I expected, the answer was simple, I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.
Thank you again.

As I read it, there were two options to the test result, either 'ping' worked, in which case I would have seen a string of ping times, or it wouldn't work, in which case I would not see the stream of times.
There are not just two options. Nobody said there were. That's just your erroneous interpretation of it.
Here's an example of two failure modes:
Code:
humax# ping asdfa.asd
ping: asdfa.asd: Name or service not known

humax# ping 192.168.0.200
PING 192.168.0.200 (192.168.0.200) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- 192.168.0.200 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2040ms
Now can you see why it's important to quote the actual results, rather than just your interpretation of them? Both failed, but for different reasons, but nobody can tell which UNLESS YOU TELL THEM.
It was already 192.168.1.254 when I started this, (see note 2 above
That's not what note 2 says. Another example of what you wrote not matching what you thought you wrote, or thought you read from somewhere.

We're still none the wiser what your actual gateway is, or what changed between the Static configuration and the DHCP one (and you never said which one you were using, although I guessed it was Static).

The reason I don't normally like DCHP is that at one time I was using it, it changed the address of the Desktop PC each time it started,
You can assign 'permanent' device IP addresses in the router (not some real cheapies maybe, but I have a Fritz!Box and can/do it with that).
The manual setting in the HDR-FOXs seems flaky and ours would drop back to DHCP at random intervals, so now I assign all the fixed addresses in the Fritz!Box and leave all the devices in DHCP.

Back