Converting .ts file to something more usable.

Sargan

I have recordings that all play happily on my HDR Fox T2, I use the download option, and this results in a .ts file
The end goal is to be able to edit this file in Movie Studio .... so need to convert the file to an alternate video format.

Does anybody know a free way to convert it to MP4 or anything that I can load into Movie Studio

I did see the option to 'Queue for ....' Conversion to mpeg'
Tried that but get the error "Content Sharing is disabled' it tells me to go to settings to enable, but do not know what to set/change

It's HD recording .... no idea if it is encrypted .... but as there is the option to 'decrypt' assume it is.
Again though it advises 'Sharing disabled' ... I don't know where to enable this.

I can access via PC so network connection is fine (and files download OK)

The Media Info is attached

Attachments

• sample.txt
    404 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:
(Still in the wrong place!)

I did see the option to 'Queue for ....' I think it was mpeg output
Tried that but get the error "Content Sharing is disabled' it tells me to go to settings to enable, but do not know what to set/change
This is a case of :RTFM:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON

Without content sharing enabled, your HDR-FOX cannot perform decryption in hardware. There are one or two other stipulations, but if you've got it connected to the network they're covered. The alternative is to perform decryption in software, which is slow but not too slow, and available as an OPT+ operation in the WebIF.

Your mediainfo is invalid because the file is not decrypted.

See Decryption Guide (click)

Once decrypted, many of the other options will become available (eg conversion from StDef .TS to .MPG).

NB: In the WebIF media browser, recordings which do not have a "DEC" icon beside them have not been decrypted.

However, if you ensure the .TS is decrypted before or during download (which so far it hasn't been), you might find Movie Studio (whatever that is) can read it.

If you do need to convert to something else, you need to ensure the video content is only re-packaged and not re-encoded. Re-encoding is slow and loses quality. The problem is that different container formats (be that TS, MP4, MPG, etc etc) have specific codecs that are compatible, so it is necessary to know what codecs are in use before you can choose a different container without necessitating re-encoding. EG: HiDef recordings are H.264 for the video codec and AAC for audio, which would be compatible for re-muxing into .MP4 but not .MPG.

FFMPEG is an open-source command-line video and audio file conversion utility which can do just about anything and has been compiled for most operating systems. There is a copy in the HDR-FOX CF, which does much of the heavy lifting behind some of the WebIF buttons. There are plenty of resources on the web to explain how to use it, or just provide command line examples according to what you want to do. So long as you only want to re-package (and not re-encode), you can even do that through the WebIF command line.

This whole subject is not one you can simply dive into without looking and hope not to drown.

For manipulating files off the HDR-FOX, see the relevant forum section: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/audio-video-file-manipulation.48/

Last edited:
This is a case of :RTFM:

Not read a manual in many Years. :)
Apologies, I did try using search window, but it did not bring up anything on enabling content sharing.
Sort of assumed as I had PC access, then it must be set for sharing if access works … obviously not.

I‘ll try what you suggest.

Last edited:
Not read a manual in many Years. :)
Is that my fault?

The Content Share setting specifically enables the DLNA server, so that DLNA clients on your home network can interrogate the content and request streams. Not turned on, no DLNA server... but that has nothing to do with the FTP server or other services added by the CF (a better FTP server, web server, Telnet server, SMB server, etc).

It is a loophole in the DLNA server which we exploit to obtain hardware-accelerated decryption, and to provide decryption-on-download through the WebIF. Without that, you have to use decryption-on-USB-copy, or software decryption (on or off the box).

There's nothing stopping you decrypting the .TS on your PC (see offline decryption), and then you might find Movie Studio reads the .TS just fine.

Apologies, I did try using search window, but it did not bring up anything on enabling content sharing.
Sorry, that's not credible. The forum search produces pages and pages of hits with any of the following search terms:
content share "content share" "content sharing"
...or my preference is a Google search site:hummy.tv "content share"

Last edited:
Is that my fault?

The Content Share setting specifically enables the DLNA server, so that DLNA clients on your home network can interrogate the content and request streams. Not turned on, no DLNA server... but that has nothing to do with the FTP server or other services added by the CF (a better FTP server, web server, Telnet server, SMB server, etc).

It is a loophole in the DLNA server which we exploit to obtain hardware-accelerated decryption, and to provide decryption-on-download through the WebIF. Without that, you have to use decryption-on-USB-copy, or software decryption (on or off the box).

There's nothing stopping you decrypting the .TS on your PC (see offline decryption), and then you might find Movie Studio reads the .TS just fine.

Sorry, that's not credible. The forum search produces pages and pages of hits with any of the following search terms:
content share "content share" "content sharing"
...or my preference is a Google search site:hummy.tv "content share"

"It's not credible"
I did try "enable content sharing" search and got some responses but nothing that seemed to show the way forward ... but thank you for your help.

I don't however have the 'Internet Settings you mention ... Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON

Then realised you mean menu on teh box .... I was looking at settings menu on PC interface.
Have enabled content sharing on the box.

Attachments

• Settingsd.jpg
    Settingsd.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Task achieved, now have file as a playable .ts file on my PC.
In case anybody else wants the 2nd step .... I still could not use the file in Vegas Movie Studio, seems it does not support .ts files, .... so converted it to .mp4 using the free program 'DIMO MTS Converter'

I don't however have the 'Internet Settings you mention ... Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = ON

Then realised you mean menu on teh box .... I was looking at settings menu on PC interface.
Have enabled content sharing on the box.
Sometimes this turns itself off. A good idea is to install the boot-settings package and then you can ensure it is force-enabled at every reboot.
Try it and it'll become obvious.
I was looking at settings menu on PC interface.
In which case you have posted in the wrong section of the forum. This should be in the Customised HD/HDR section.

Last edited:
I posted it n the thread where the Q was … so it had context, feel free to delete if it’s I. Wrong place,

First off, your question relates to the CF, so it's posed in the wrong place. Second, anyone wanting information about processing media files in general (eg on a PC) should be looking in that section of the forum and not here.

You seem proud of "never reading a manual", so that means you are constantly relying on the milk of human kindness to tolerate your rule or convention breaking - conventions that are in place for everyone's benefit. Having information filed in the right place means people can find it. Asking questions in the wrong place implies an incorrect context, and answers are in the wrong place where the information is more obscure.

It's just a case of trying to keep the forum orderly.

Thank you, I apoloogise for posting in wring place ...... I chose HDR-Fox T2 as that is what the box is, as an iregular user here - it can be confusing where to post.
I am grateful for your help.

First off, your question relates to the CF, so it's posed in the wrong place. Second, anyone wanting information about processing media files in general (eg on a PC) should be looking in that section of the forum and not here.

You seem proud of "never reading a manual", so that means you are constantly relying on the milk of human kindness to tolerate your rule or convention breaking - conventions that are in place for everyone's benefit. Having information filed in the right place means people can find it. Asking questions in the wrong place implies an incorrect context, and answers are in the wrong place where the information is more obscure.

It's just a case of trying to keep the forum orderly.
It's not 'proud' it's just that technology has moved on, 20 years ago you would read a manual to find out how to set up a video recorder, we have moved into a more modern 'plug & play world' and at least for myself means I no longer open or look up manuals. I do however come to forums to initiate a discussion, which is after all what open forums are for.

In this case, I did after your comment go the Newbie's guide ... and the appropriate page starts with ... "This article is now in need of an overhaul," which is not an ideal confidence comment for a Newbie :)
I am glad that the post & comments are now filed in the correct place, and I should not have made the mistake.

Back