Copy Recorded TV to Synology NAS

daveallen

Hi,

I am trying to set up an automated solution to copy the .ts files only to a folder on my NAS to import into Plex. I have used a VM running Windows 10 with .bat file to complete this but I would rather not run a VM. Any ideas please?

Run a script on the HDR-FOX to do the copying directly, I guess using the rsync command. Tips for how to install a self-executing script HERE (click).

Scripts can be made to run at boot, or on a schedule using cron or anacron. If you only want to execute it on demand, just run it on the command line.

Sorry, I can barely write a script in Windows never mind Linux. I need an idiots guide on what I need. I also just to be even more awkward only want to copy the ts files.

Sorry, I can barely write a script in Windows never mind Linux.
So now is the time to figure it out – there's noting so motivating as a task to achieve. Linux command line scripting is hardly any different from writing a WIndows .bat file, the main differences are that it doesn't need a .bat on the end of the file name, needs to be given "executable" status in the file attributes, and requires a line at the top telling the operating system how to execute it. All those details are giving in the info I linked to, and anything else you might need to know is easily googled.

My software skills are barely more than yours, but I managed some simple scripting so I'm sure you can too.

The task will be much easier if you have your NAS mounted as a virtual USB drive on the HDR-FOX. If you haven't done this already, check out the network-shares-automount package. Alternatively, do you realise the HDR-FOX is a NAS? Just install the samba package, and your (decrypted) recordings are directly accessible to Windows devices across the network.

I also just to be even more awkward only want to copy the ts files.
That's not a problem (cp *.ts), but it sounds like you want somebody to do it for you. I expect somebody around here is probably doing something similar already, you'll just have to wait for them to come along...

I know very little about FOXSAT-HDR environment except that it's not as flexible as a HDR FOX T2 CFW setup....

I admit I hadn't realised this is Foxsat, but surely the principles are the same? Maybe not network-shares-automount, but I believe samba is available. Mediatomb provides DLNA access; surely Plex can access that?

However, direct help will be harder to come by, all the more reason for the OP to have a go at DIY.

rysnc would be the way to go, but if you do a recursive sync of /media/Video with a pattern of *.ts, make sure to exclude 0.ts.

rysnc would be the way to go
I don't know about that. I barely get 512k out of my T2 because of the encryption overhead and the Foxsat is even less powerful so who knows how slow it will be. I would say samba is the answer.

Thank for your replies. Ended up using a VM on my NAS and used a program to just copy the files over daily. As another point, is there a way or a program that can rename the recordings into a TVDB format as Plex will not recognise any of the recordings.

is there a way or a program that can rename the recordings into a TVDB format
You would have to specify what you want exactly, but can't you do that in your VM? Why run a VM anyway - can't you run a script natively on the NAS? Or is it that you don't want to play in Linux?

Just browsing and saw the thread - its probably possible to mount the foxsat drive using cifs to a folder on the nas
I do it on my HDR-Fox T2 then I point Plex to the mounted folder. Plex thinks the file is local but plays it from the box
Because of the file name convention of Humax ts files. Plex cannot create artwork or series grouping show matching etc

1650835438624.png

Folder
//your humax box address ie 192.168.1.2/media/My Video
Case sensitive

Mount to folder u created on nas
/volume1/video/humax/My Video

hope that may be of use

Back