Copying recordings onto pc

Be more specific: StDef or HiDef, pre-decrypted or undecrypted, and what do you want to do with them once on PC.

Sorry should have said, only have hi-def which have been decrypted and hope to store them on the server to watch later on

Then you have plenty of options:
  1. Copy to USB and walk it across;
  2. Use the WebIF media browser and choose the OPT+ download option;
  3. Install the samba package and use Windows Explorer to copy files from the HDR-FOX as if a NAS;
  4. Use the native FTP server (or turn it off and install betaftpd) and transfer by FTP;
  5. (there are probably more variations, maybe involving DLNA, but not off the top of my head).
The pitfalls revolve around how good your network is for moving files that are that big. It will take a while, whichever way you go. I have my HDR-FOXes on a HomePlug network, which then has to get to my PC via the router and WiFi. The HomePlugs like to drop out when confronted with a large block of data. If you can use Ethernet, even temporarily, the experience will be much smoother.

Thanks everything is Ethernet connected, so is there a preferred way which is recommended , I will connect to a win 10 desktop, check the file then move to the server

For a single file transfer I use the OPT+ method. Multiple transfers are faster using ftp (Filezilla). Transfers with samba/Windows file manager are slowest. That's my experience using a hummy connected via Homeplug. Once you've got the file on your pc, you might want to run it through Avidemux to remove unwanted material and save it as an mkv or mp4 before storing on your NAS.

I should add: if there's any chance you might want to play the saved files through the hummy, either by putting them back on the box or via a network share or mediaserver, be sure to save as mp4, not mkv. Hummy doesn't like mkv.

Once you've got the file on your pc, you might want to run it through Avidemux to remove unwanted material and save it as an mkv or mp4 before storing on your NAS.
You can do that on the HDR-FOX (before transfer) using OPT+ >> Shrink. If the material is for playback on the Humax, keep it as a .ts with sidecar files intact.

I concur - the OPT+ >> Download method seems to be fastest (for one-offs), and (using HomePlug) FTP is more reliable than SMB. If this is going to be a regular thing, I still recommend a wired connection.

Back