Copying to/from external USB-HDD

JerryL1947

OK Folks, I'm struggling here to find out how to do this.

Equipment: HDR-Fox T2 with CF 1.03.12 Mod 3.00 + 500GB external HDD - HDR formatted (Ext3?)
Win7 Pro Laptop, Ethernet connected to HDR

I can decrypt HD files on my internal HDD through the Browse function of CF
I can create new folders on the internal HDD through the Browse function of CF
I can create folders on the external HDD using Media and Opt+ on the remote
I can copy files from internal HDD to external HDD using Media and Opt+ functions from the remote.

I cannot find any way to move/copy files from the internal to external HDD via WebIf (or instructions on here/Wiki how to). I'm not familiar with ftp.

I feel THICK ................... else this info is not there 'cos it cant be done.

My external HDD being Ext3 formatted by the HDR will presumably be unreadable by the laptop. Should I re-format it back to NTFS? Then I need to install the right addin on the CF to enable writing to this USB HDD from the HDR?

In Web-If>Browse Media Files click on 'Opt+' next to a single file you want to copy and select 'copy to clipboard' or place ticks next to multiple files and hit the copy button at the bottom. At the top of the list press 'media' (in '/media/My Video') and your drives and folders will be listed. Open your external drive e.g. 'drive1' then navigate to the folder and press the paste button.

An EXT3 drive can be read in Windows if you install the program 'Ext2fsd': it is free. If you like you can format as NTFS. If you do this, you will need to install the 'ntfs-3g' package on the HDR-FOX.

If the ultimate destination is the laptop make yourself familar with ftp? It's not a big hurdle, plus you gain a talent.

You don't even have to use the command-line as there's a plethora of different gui clients available - eg filezilla. You can even use Windows Explorer - (hint ftp://humax_ipaddress)

Thank you MeT and BH too :thumbsup:

I hope I did not come over as blaming this forum for my inability. Not intended. I think you guys have done a fantastic job of making this stuff available to folks like me.

My problem is a reluctance to experiment too much as I know mistakes can get one into horrible positions of not knowing what's wrong and how to get back to square one.

The WebIf is clearly brilliant but sometimes I find it is not quite intuitive enough, especially when I can't find something I think should be there. Seems it usually is, but ..........., I'm stuck. I sometimes wonder that instructions written by someone who knows a lot on what they are writing about, assume too much knowledge/understanding from users, thus missing some (possibly obvious when you know) pointers.

Brilliant job guys. Thanks for your help.

Jerry

I sometimes wonder that instructions written by someone who knows a lot on what they are writing about, assume too much knowledge/understanding from users, thus missing some (possibly obvious when you know) pointers.
You have to remember that the WebIF in particular (and the CF in general) has developed over several years, with features being added as af123 went along, frequently in response to requests on this forum for x, y, or z (or even 1, 2, or 3). In technical documentation it is quite difficult to strike a balance between making it a quick reference or a beginners guide, the frequent result is a text which doesn't spoon-feed the absolute newcomer and requires a degree of effort to get over the initial reluctance.

In my documentation I try to take the approach of explaining all without assuming prior knowledge, but it results in a lot to read. I also confine myself to documenting the HD-FOX and HDR-FOX as is, the WebIF and CF are documented on the wiki and through discussion in these forum topics. Having pointed out the gap though, I imaging the relevant people will plug it.

I sometimes wonder that instructions written by someone who knows a lot on what they are writing about, assume too much knowledge/understanding from users, thus missing some (possibly obvious when you know) pointers.

This has long been described as the COIK Fallacy: Clear Only If Known.

Back