Corona Projects

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Regular readers will already know about the continuing development of my new PC (ZEN), and my adapters for sending a stereo audio signal down a long length of Cat5, and today I am embarking on the construction of an aid for a friend with poor sight and a touch of memory loss to remind her what medication she is supposed to take each day (unfortunately not the same every day, and given that it's already noted on a wall calendar but she forgets to look and when she does she forgets she needs glasses to see what it says).

What's everybody else doing these days? Not just vegging out I hope.

Along with turning my garden into a space worthy of a gold at Chelsea I have finally got around to using those pop rivets. I am turning a pile of scraps of copper pipe, cable, busbar etc that I have hoarded over the last 20 years into a Lung.( No its nothing to do with Corona its a mythological Asian dragon.) I am making it to use as a water feature for a pond that I will more than likely get around to building in another 20 years time. Over 1000 bits of copper to form but its coming along nicely, just another 600 or so scales, 4 legs and half its spine and its done.

We'll definitely need a picture of that! Sounds like the sort of thing I would like to build.

@BH Not much to look at yet but here is how far its come.
:rolling: (Probably a fault with my browser but...) That image [the one actually in post #4] looks like a black cat in a coal cellar to me. Ah I see. If I click on the link I get the picture. :)

:rolling: (Probably a fault with my browser but...) That image [the one actually in post #4] looks like a black cat in a coal cellar to me. Ah I see. If I click on the link I get the picture. :)
That's odd, it displays fine on the page without needing to click in it for me.

Great! You're an artist.
Thanks. It came out better than expected considering I only used a £10 blowtorch from Lidl that came with 5 canisters of gas a pair of snips, hammer, pop rivet gun and a drill. It was my second time working with copper, the first was 45 years ago when I made an ashtray in metal work class at school :).

Was that from scratch trog? If so,. WOW!
Yes, all from off cuts of various sizes of copper pipe including some stripped from a fridge freezer, a large ball float from a scrapped hotel water tank and the copper casing and cores from bits of armoured cable, I never found a use for the bus bar. The only parts that were not free scrap were the 2 glass marble eyes and the large marble representing the "pearl of wisdom". Even the flux and solder was scrounged from a friendly plumber :).

What diameter is the ball so that I can get a feel for the size. And WOW again. Well impressed.

I think its about 10", its outside now so I cannot be sure, you can see the sections of pipe I used for the body in the second pic and they are 50mm pipe and the post is 42mm.

Edit. Checked it today and its an eight inch ball float.

Last edited:
Back