Custom Firmware for newbie

Denwyn

Going to give this custom firmware a try on my Humax FoxT2 hdr freeview box. Its the box which has the horizontal RF / Aerial sockets on the back . I've looked at the links but it shows 3 versions of the latest firmware, which should I download, and were can I get the original Humax firmware to download should it go wrong...Thanks

Going to give this custom firmware a try on my Humax FoxT2 hdr freeview box. Its the box which has the horizontal RF / Aerial sockets on the back . I've looked at the links but it shows 3 versions of the latest firmware, which should I download, and were can I get the original Humax firmware to download should it go wrong...Thanks
I suggest HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13.zip If you scroll further down the Firmware Downloads page you will find the official Humax software.

For a general introduction to CF (Custom Firmware), see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click). How to decide what you want is all spelled out there.

For a general introduction to CF (Custom Firmware), see Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click). How to decide what you want is all spelled out there.
I’ve read up on the custom firmware, while it’s looks to be very good, i am not to sure I would use it a great deal, In our previous house I did hook the humax up to the router with a network cable, just the once as it was absolute rubbish. After reading up more on the firmware I see it’s network dependant. I can’t get a network cable to the box, the TV uses WiFi. I’m not really into networking it for remote access etc, although I liked the possibility of remove DMR. So while it’s all very clever, i couldn't see me using it a great deal, and definitely not enough to get a network cable to it from the router. Before anyone mentions it I did try a pair of Ethernet Plugins on the TV, not a success wi fi was better, so that’s not an option.

After reading up more on the firmware I see it’s network dependant.
Some functions are, but there are a few that are not except for updates, which are pretty rare now as they are 'mature', and are quite useful. Undelete for example is pretty much fit-and-forget.
[Also boot-settings, disable-dso and -ota, fan and redring - that I have]

Last edited:
IMO, A wifi range extender is a good if not better alternative to a wifi dongle or powerline adapter. No need to worry about dongle compatibility issues or boot time availability. Can be purchased for around £30.

Been using for years without issue.

i am not to sure I would use it a great deal
Horses for courses. Different aspects of CF use are the "killer app" for different people. One of the primary original drivers for the development was being able to extract unencrypted recordings for use elsewhere, regardless of them being HiDef (which is not possible as standard). You can't get a recording out of a Sky box at all!

One day you'll be away from home and realise you hadn't set up a recording for something you wanted to watch... or more importantly something the wife wanted to watch. Then you'll wish you had CF and RS.

I did hook the humax up to the router with a network cable, just the once as it was absolute rubbish
The standard box doesn't do a lot with an Internet connection, but at least it would play BBC iPlayer content (or used to). It would only be "rubbish" if you expected more than that, or if your broadband wasn't up to the task.

Before anyone mentions it I did try a pair of Ethernet Plugins on the TV, not a success wi fi was better
The quality of HomePlug v. WiFi is heavily dependent on the quality of the HomePlugs and the mains cabling v. the quality of the WiFi signal. There are many ways to skin the cat, if you have a mind to (and lack of enthusiasm always throws up "insurmountable" barriers).

The standard box doesn't do a lot with an Internet connection, but at least it would play BBC iPlayer content (or used to). It would only be "rubbish" if you expected more than that, or if your broadband wasn't up to the task.
You might have expected the other Portal apps not to be rubbish, a test failed by all but the Internet Radio app, and possibly the YouTube app until https broke it.

I agree, but this is ten year old technology, intended to access streaming services that existed ten years ago, and it would be inappropriate to compare it with a modern Firestick (or whatever).

I've managed to borrow a very long ethernet cable, so I'm going to try it out on the spare Humax box. I think my issue with ethernet plugins was maybe cheap ones off Ebay. Never had much luck in the past with wifi dongles.

Back