Custom Firmware.

Gerrymac

Hi, A newbie here so go easy lol...
I eventually got my HDR-FOX T2 Box connected to my Home Network with the help from the guys over on My Humax Forum.It is connected wirelessly.
I have been reading on here about the CF and would want to know if I go ahead with installing it will it allow me to d/load,say an open source media player on the browser to view content?
I have d/loaded the CF to my PC that is current with my Box..I,m using W10 but this tells me "What App would you like to open this"..Do I just extract this file (HDR_FOX_T2_upgrade.hd) and then copy to a USB Stick?
I have viewed the Help Videos but I,m unsure at the part of "Packages" and which to choose.I will however,have another look to try and understand all.

Any help would be appreciated..

We have an entire forum section for the Custom Firmware, and this isn't it. (Update: now moved.)

https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/hd-hdr-fox-t2-customised-firmware.28/

I have been reading on here about the CF and would want to know if I go ahead with installing it will it allow me to d/load,say an open source media player on the browser to view content?
No. The processing power and memory are inadequate, and there is no direct access from third-party code to the AV outputs.

Any help would be appreciated..
It's all here (installation process): Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

As far as choice of packages are concerned, it's a question of what functionality you want to add - but I say take it easy, at least to start with. Simply completing the installation provides web management (Web Interface - WebIF).

Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click)

Decryption Guide

Basic config (now included in the Quick Guide to Custom Firmware)

NEW READERS START HERE (click)

Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click)

Last edited:
Hi BlackHole...Many thanks for the reply.. I,ll have another read thru all the links supplied....Final Question..Does installing the CF give the user more variants towards the box?

...Does installing the CF give the user more variants towards the box?
'

It enhances its functionality for sure, if that is what you mean?

I am sure your questions will be answered if you read the info in the links BH provided.

Thanks Wallace...Will do...I have been....bottom line is with the CF can I stream content form Kodi,say from my PC?

Hi BlackHole...Many thanks for the reply.. I,ll have another read thru all the links supplied....Final Question..Does installing the CF give the user more variants towards the box?
As per Wallace's reply, I can't pick any meaning out of that question.

Just try it - you'll soon realise any trepidation is unfounded, and if you don't like it it's easy to return to standard. And I can guarantee that won't be your Final Question!

bottom line is with the CF can I stream content form Kodi,say from my PC?
See?

If you mean can you use a DLNA server on the PC and access content using the HDR-FOX - you can do that without CF. Turn on the server service, then on the HDR-FOX use Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network. Compatibility is heavily dependent on the format of the served content.

With CF you can actually mount your PC shared folders (like NAS storage) as if they were a USB drive local to the HDR-FOX, so if the content plays on a USB drive it will play by NAS access. See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/

So much of this is already written about: the forum search tools, and Google search with prefix "site:hummy.tv", are your friends.

I have taken this enquiry as a reminder to expand the Quick Guide. I will add some content about configuration later.

Many thanks again for your time on this.I hope I achieve what I want if it's possible...so so much to learn.
Must say this forum is great.A Happy St.Patricks Day to all mods and members..☘
Cheers.

Link doesn,t open...

Last edited:
Sorry about that, the original link in post 2 works and so does the equivalent link in my signature panel. Somehow the link in post 7 got mangled, but I have fixed it now.

In any case, it is only the same link as I have referred you to before...

Hi BH,
I have successfully installed the CF...On my browser page I,m getting a Warning.."There appears to be hardware problems with the internal; hard disc on this device"
Disc overall health assessement is: Unknown
Go To Disc Diagnostics.
What will this do?..Don,t want to loose any recordings stored on HD.
Cheers.

Hi BH,
I have successfully installed the CF...On my browser page I,m getting a Warning.."There appears to be hardware problems with the internal; hard disc on this device"
Disc overall health assessement is: Unknown
Go To Disc Diagnostics.
What will this do?..Don,t want to loose any recordings stored on HD.
Cheers.
Running the Disk diagnostics and if necessary the fix-disk process will reduce the chance of losing recordings by detecting and correcting any errors

Hi,
Just refreshed the browser page and everything showing ok...Don,t know why that Warning was shown.
Cheers.

There's probably an unreadable block or two on the HD. The standard firmware ignores this, as AIUI, other than a reformat it can't do anything to correct it. But the CFW has a fix-disk utility built-in so it notifies you. While waiting for a more qualified guide to come along, the first step is to do as it says. Go to Diagnostics > Disk Diagnostics and scroll down to Self-Test Logs where you'll see what the problem is. There should be a "Don't worry..." message there too.

Edit: I see it's gone away. Maybe the CFW was still checking the HD?

Last edited:
No harm in running the disk checker, and in any case a disk that has been in service that long could probably do with a check over.

The following can be used even when the disk isn't showing obvious problems, as a tune-up, and it won't do any damage (if you do lose anything, you would have lost it anyway):

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

Cheers for that...have ran the diagnostics..all OK...problem now with TV Portal
Have rebooted several times...press portal on remote..triangle turns and turns then get service unavailable (http Error 503).Press portal again and get 'undefined ' Reboot box to view any channel..

.problem now with TV Portal
Have rebooted several times...press portal on remote..triangle turns and turns then get service unavailable (http Error 503).Press portal again and get 'undefined ' Reboot box to view any channel..
That is nothing to do with your box; there appears to be a problem with the server running the Humax Portal that your box is trying to connect to.

Ok...thanks for the quick replies.
Finally got the TV Portal working..after a few re-boots...Can even get the RTÉ Player..nice one.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back