DD 5.1

leecavturbo

I'm not getting any 5.1 from hdr ( blue planet 2 is I believe ? )
What is wrong ? In settings digital audio is set to multi channel but amp only reports pcm 2.0!

If that doesn't light up, look no further.
The info. in the Wiki was incorrect (now Corrected), the Dolby Digital Source icon is not used on the HDR-Fox T2, It was to be used when the broadcaster transmitted Dolby Digital, however Dolby Digital is not broadcast via Freeview in the U.K., instead the HDR-Fox T2 converts the transmitted audio into DD internally

So, basically, do we have no reliable way of knowing whether the transmission is in surround sound, other than to peek inside the resulting .ts file streams?

Maybe it's a status flag that could be added to the WebIF media browser file listings.

So, basically, do we have no reliable way of knowing whether the transmission is in surround sound, other than to peek inside the resulting .ts file streams?
Non that I can think of, apart from the indication that you will get when connected to multi-channel AV amp

BTW

I have just discovered that the Dolby Digital Source icon does light up when a file containing DD is played, but not during a multi-channel sound Freeview transmission

Last edited:
How weird is that?
It's because the multi-channel audio content that is transmitted (and recorded) is not in Dolby Digital format, it is only converted to DD 'on the way out' so to speak, where-as a file containing DD is displayed as such

I'm not getting any 5.1 from hdr ( blue planet 2 is I believe ? )
It appears so.
Looking inside an HDR-FOX T2's recordings for episodes 1, 2 and 3 they all have 6 channels.

This is from Blue Planet II_20171105_1635.ts (BBC ONE HD)
Code:
Audio #1
ID                                       : 6602 (0x19CA)
Menu ID                                  : 17540 (0x4484)
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Muxing mode                              : LATM
Codec ID                                 : 17
Duration                                 : 59mn 18s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Delay relative to video                  : -824ms
Language                                 : English
descriptor_tag_extension                 : 6

Last edited:

Maybe it's a status flag that could be added to the WebIF media browser file listings.

You can tell if watching it via a proper AV receiver. The HDR-FOX-T2 converts aac to ac3 on it's digital audio outputs. In my case my Yamaha front panel shows the number of channels and the AV receiver remote shows it on the TV screen when pressing on screen and choosing the info button. You can also show the receiver source audio format using the receiver Android/IOS control app.

And yes Blue Planet II is in 5.1.

You cannot rely on the transmission status flags. On satellite all CH-5 HD broadcasts are flagged as 5.1. It's a lie if you open a recording from a Foxsat-HDR in a 5.1 capable video editor you can see the 6 channels but only front left and front right has any actual audio,

If you can't rely on the broadcaster stream how can you rely on it ? You can't look at the stream the box is recording because by then it's already encrypted. I guess you could somehow decrypt a small sample and check how many channels it has. Much easier to analyse after the recording is decrypted and display the info in say the programme info after the recording is decrypted. Basically as posted in Lukes post.

If you can't rely on the broadcaster stream how can you rely on it ? You can't look at the stream the box is recording because by then it's already encrypted. I guess you could somehow decrypt a small sample and check how many channels it has. Much easier to analyse after the recording is decrypted and display the info in say the programme info after the recording is decrypted. Basically as posted in Lukes post.
You Could look at the recording stream during recording using the chaseget process employed by DetectAds, I guess it would be best tied into DetectAds since the commercials could be different from the main programme.

Whether there is any/sufficient value in early detection is another matter.

Back