Dead HDR-FOXT2?

bottletop

That's a shame. I don't know if it's software, firmware or hardware issue. As a last ditch effort. maybe try the system flush update then follow up with the standard Humax firmware (and install the custom firmware later), reboot, factory reset - just to see if it does anything different. This may be a daft question - but do the replacement tuners have the same part numbers?

OP
BMAX

BMAX

Thanks for the interest. I have already tried all the above , but no change.
The basic part numbers are the same yellow label FT2115 21933720 SV2111 and orange label FT2116 21933730 SV2111, followed by 9 other digits, presumably serial numbers/date codes.

Last edited:

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
do the replacement tuners have the same part numbers?
Yes

I don't know if it's software, firmware or hardware issue.
The only way I can conceive this being a firmware issue is if there is a failed bit or bits in the flash in the relevant section of code, which "fortunately" does not cause a firmware crash. I have no idea whether Humax have included any built-in test, but when I was doing that sort of thing it was standard to checksum the EPROM (in my day) at boot.

If the flash is corrupt or failed, I doubt a reflash would succeeed (the write process should be followed by a veriify scan). For my money it is a vanishingly small chance this is a firmware issue (and I have no idea what you mean by "software").

bottletop

According to my notes one of my HDRs has these
FT 2115B 21960610 SV2011xxxxxxxxx aerial in (L, when viewed from back)
FT 2116B 21960620 SV2011xxxxxxxxx aerial out (R, when viewed from back)

bottletop

If the flash is corrupt or failed, I doubt a reflash would succeeed (the write process should be followed by a veriify scan). For my money it is a vanishingly small chance this is a firmware issue (and I have no idea what you mean by "software").
I think there is something about that here

OP
BMAX

BMAX

Poking about with a voltmeter, pin 5 is tuner 5v supply, which appears for about 15 seconds, then drops to zero. Perhaps this is enough to get the initial strength, but then gets turned off almost immediately. More work required.

IGNORE Red Herring.

Last edited:
OP
BMAX

BMAX

Just to confirm:
1. The signal strengths and quality shown when manual searching are genuine, not remembered - they vary when the aerial signal is attenuated or disconnected.
2. Pass through works fine.
3. Secret menu shows no signal on tuners 1 and 2.
4. 5 volts are present on pins3,5 and 10 as expected.
5. Antenna power is available, when switched on.
To me this indicates that the tuners are OK and the problem lies upstream. Next step is to dig out my trusty 'scope (not used for about twenty years) and look at the control lines to the tuners, although this will only tell me that something is happening or not.
As you may have gathered, this has become a purely academic exercise as I have picked up an immaculate replacement T2 for twenty quid.

Last edited:
OP
BMAX

BMAX

Early results of 'scope probing over the Xmas break.

Tuner 1 FT2115 Antenna in, Tuner 2 FT2116 loop through r/f out.

Pin 1(r/f out) of tuner 1 is directly connected to pin 1 (r/f in) of tuner 2
providing loop through which is working. As the centre pins of the sockets are not directly connected, there is presumably some buffering/amplification between the sockets and the pins.

Tuner 2 FT2116 Antenna out
There is activity on the data and clock pins 6 (SCL Clock) and 7 (SDA Data) of the tuner's I2C interface during auto search, consistent with the search pattern. That is, lots of action when searching target channels and minimum activity during others, but no channels were registered. My old 'scopes trigger cannot cope with the erratic spacing of the data packets, so I can't resolve detail of the packets.

Tuner 1 FT2115 Antenna in.
No activity on clock or data pins during search.

Conclusion is that tuner 2 is used for the search, which seems to be happening, but nothing is being registered.

Tuner 2 was replaced by the old damaged unit and the above tests repeated.

This time tuner 1 was used for the search, with no activity on tuner 2.
Possible conclusion is that tuner 2 is indeed faulty and the search is performed with whichever tuner is available. Again no channels were registered.

Before I could work out my next steps, family pressure became impossible to resist, so further progress will have to wait until the new year.

Reactions: /df