Decrypted HiDef files not visible on other devices

Shortname

Hi, having problems with streaming (or even seeing) decrypted HiDef files stored on a Fox HDR T2 on other networked devices. Content sharing is on.

I'm running custom firmware and installed and ran Auto-Unprotect which completed. I then flagged the top level folder for recursive auto decrypt, which I monitored via Diagnostics/Queued Tasks. All files completed. When I browse files in web interface they are showing the "Dec" and "Indexed by DLNA server" icons (All files - both HD and SD).

I have now encountered multiple issues;

1. Nothing will play within the web interface, I get "This plugin isn't supported".

2. Only SD files show on networked samsung TVs.

3. Only SD files show in Windows media Player (Windows 10 pc).

4. Nothing shows in Windows film & TV (Windows 10 pc).

5. Only SD files show in VLC player - upnp mode (Windows 10 pc).

6. Splash player doesn't find the Fox HDR media server at all (Windows 10 pc).

I really only want to solve item 2 so I can watch recordings elsewhere in the house, but I've included the other issues I've encountered as they may contain clues as to the underlying issue (although the engineer in me would like to fix them for completeness!) I've searched the forum and the various instructional posts to no avail - hence trying VLC as a standalone app and Splash.

Any suggestions please?

Hi, having problems with streaming (or even seeing) decrypted HiDef files stored on a Fox HDR T2 on other networked devices. Content sharing is on.
See whether Content Sharing 101 (click) answers any of your questions. It's primarily to do with sharing between HDR-FOXes, but it explains the difference between DLNA and SMB.

Nothing will play within the web interface, I get "This plugin isn't supported".
This is a known problem due to web standards having shifted. It's being worked on (albeit in a badly-titled thread): https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/is-this-firmware-abandoned-now-remote-streaming.10080/post-152030

Only SD files show on networked samsung TVs. Only SD files show in Windows media Player (Windows 10 pc). Nothing shows in Windows film & TV (Windows 10 pc). Only SD files show in VLC player - upnp mode (Windows 10 pc).
Likely because the file formats are incompatible. A fundamental problem is that the HDR-FOX creates M2TS files, but labels them .TS. TS is what is broadcast, but a player will only cope with them if it is able to play M2TS and recognise M2TS within a file labelled TS. Also, video and audio formats tend to alter within the broadcast, so a player will only be happy with these files if it has been designed to accept mutating formats.

Splash player doesn't find the Fox HDR media server at all (Windows 10 pc).
Does Splash have a DLNA client?

Any suggestions please?
You will have more success by installing the samba package (see the 101) so that content is shared by SMB rather than relying on DLNA, but your WIndows PC will need to be configured to accept SMB1 protocol.

Last edited:
That's annoying then.

Naïvely, I plugged in my wifi dongle, happily did the decryption processes and expected to be able to access the files on the smart TVs around the house. What's the difference between SD and HD file formats once decrypted?

Not massively fussed about watching files on PC - again just a bit bemused why SD works and HD doesn't in something like media player or VLC.

Still looking to see how I can watch files on Samsung TVs...

Definitely. For one thing, for using DLNA you didn't need to decrypt anything.

There's a vast difference between StDef and HiDef recordings:
  1. StDef will stream by DLNA without intervention; HiDef require to be "unprotected" (decryption not required). This is a property of the DLNA server – see Things Every... (click) section 5.

2. StDef broadcasts use MPEG2 for video codec and MP3 layer II (MP2) audio codec, HiDef broadcasts use H.264 (AVC) for video and AAC for audio.
I strongly recommend you implement SMB and see if that changes anything.

Back