Default Authority for new channels

btonbadger

Hi,

As there's a flurry of new channels being added to freesat (and more due soon) I started writing a guide how to add the default authority manually.

My only stumbling block at the moment is that the changes edited to the channel database aren't permanent and the Default Authority entry disappears after the next reboot.

I appreciate all the work the custom firmware authors did to keep our boxes updated but the default Authority updates are frustratingly slow, and rather than put demands on them to supply updates, perhaps we can be shown how to make these updates ourselves permanently so we can manage our own updates as and when required?

Anyway here's my guide for now using Channel 4 HD (which recently made a comeback to the freesat platform) as an example.... The database entry will need to be updated every time the box restarts.

Procedure for Adding new Default Authority entries to Humax Foxsat HDR

Problem

When setting a recording for a channel that’s recently been added to the Freesat EPG you get the following error message:
"No default authority data available for this channel. Unable to set the recording."

Reason:

The default authority data doesn’t automatically get passed from the Freesat EPG updates to the custom firmware. A manual update was previously supplied by the firmware authors but these have been slow to arrive.

Workaround:

The default authority can be manually added to the SQLite Database for any new channel that gets added to the Freesat EPG. We can get this information from the box itself.

1) Follow the instructions here to access the hidden menu on your Humax Foxsat HDR (Sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet)
2) Enable the CRID test option.

3) Now go to the channel you need to find the default authority for... press the i button on the remote. You can now see the CRID details on the info page. It's the form of the web address e.g.
www .channel4.com/ 247NSJ - your default authority is simply the top level of this web address, so for our example we need "www .channel4.com"

4) Obtain the Service ID by going to the EPG listings on your web interface and clicking on the channel name. The web URL in your browser will change and at the end of the address you'll find service=21200 - this number is your usSvcID for step 7.

5) Make sure Telnet is enabled on your custom software and telnet into the box.

6) At the prompt you need to launch SQLite and edit the channel lists by typing sqlite3 /opt/epg/channels.db

7) Add to the database table with the following syntax
update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='default authority tld' where usSvcID='service id as numbers';
so for Channel 4 HD in this example we need to type this command and press enter.
update tbl_svc set aucDefaultAuthority='www .channel4.com' where usSvcID='21200';

8) Press CTRL+D simultaneously to log out of SQLite.

9) Exit Telnet.

10) You can now make recordings on this channel (at least till the next reboot, then you need to reissue the database commands again from step 5 onwards)

You can edit the default authority data on your box yourself - it's kept in the file /opt/epg/DefAuthInit.sql

Having done this, you should probably stop it being overwritten with the server copy by editing /opt/webif/cgi-bin/opkg.jim and comment out (with a # at the start of the line) the penultimate line which says pkg fetchdefauth. You just (!) need to remember to undo it if ever you want to revert to using the server copy.

This is another one of those problems where the people who have access to the server are all now apparently absent, and nobody else has edit capability.

Lovely thank you! That's a much slicker way of doing it.

I'd be happy to help maintain the default authority data if there's an alternative way of distributing.

This is another one of those problems where the people who have access to the server are all now apparently absent, and nobody else has edit capability.
Can't a new server be started by someone else? Provided all the custom firmware is open source this should be possible.

Can't a new server be started by someone else?
Well of course it could, but someone's go to do it and pay for the hosting, then you've got to convince your user base to migrate to it. It's virtually impossible to do reliably and would require manual intervention and/or updated firmware images.
Provided all the custom firmware is open source this should be possible.
It isn't, and I'm not sure why it needs to be anyway if you're only changing a server name. That's probably easily accessible (it is on the T2 anyway).

It isn't, and I'm not sure why it needs to be anyway if you're only changing a server name. That's probably easily accessible (it is on the T2 anyway).
OK you probably could switch to a new server without recompiling the firmware. But for something like this all the firmware should be open source, precisely because the maintainers can disappear.

OK you probably could switch to a new server without recompiling the firmware.
It depends what you mean exactly by "recompiling". The server address is baked in to the firmware image, but it is in editable files (assuming that the tools for the Fox T2 can be used on the Foxsat - they are opposite endian architectures, which is undoubtedly the cause of some pain).

Last edited:
It depends what you mean exactly by "recompiling". The server address is baked in to the firmware image, but it is in editable files (assuming that the tools for the Fox T2 can be used on the Foxsat - they are opposite endian architectures, which is undoubtedly the cause of some pain).
By recompiling I mean editing the source code .c file that contains the baked in server address, running the makefile to compile all the .c files and link them to produce a new binary. What else could recompiling mean?

By recompiling I mean editing the source code .c file that contains the baked in server address, running the makefile to compile all the .c files and link them to produce a new binary. What else could recompiling mean?
That's what I understand it as too, but sometimes other people use these words in their own context and you discover that their worlds and yours don't overlap.
Anyway, there is no such .c file in this case. The details of the server are just in ordinary human-readable text files.

Back