detectads not working for new directories

I am puzzled as to why detectads only works on files within directories that have been flagged to detect ads. When a new series is recorded I have to manually go and set the option on this new directory and all then works.

How should I configure detectads to work on all non-BBC recordings?

I have "Automatically process recording following auto-decryption? (traditional)" set to on and I have the detectads option set on the /media/My Video directory.

Thanks
Rob.

See WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for detectads package. If you have the "Folder flag, Sweeper or No automatic processing of recordings" button selected, what you see is exactly what it does. Clear that button to process everything.

See WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for detectads package. If you have the "Folder flag, Sweeper or No automatic processing of recordings" button selected, what you see is exactly what it does. Clear that button to process everything.
I said in my post that I had "Automatically process recording following auto-decryption? (traditional)" set on therefore not "Folder flag, Sweeper or No automatic processing of recordings".

I said in my post that I had "Automatically process recording following auto-decryption? (traditional)" set on therefore not "Folder flag, Sweeper or No automatic processing of recordings".
Do you have recursive auto-decryption set on the My Video folder?
Without that flag recordings in new folders won't be decrypted and so ad-detection won't be triggered.

So far as I can see there isn't a recursive option. In any case, that just feeds the "folder flag" option. My ad detection takes place without any of that, by setting the "following auto-decryption" option.

Aha! Perhaps the OP needs to check he has auto-decryption set up.

So far as I can see there isn't a recursive option. In any case, that just feeds the "folder flag" option. My ad detection takes place without any of that, by setting the "following auto-decryption" option.

Aha! Perhaps the OP needs to check he has auto-decryption set up.
That is what my post asked!!!

Yes I have auto-decryption set up but I am not sure what that has to do with it as the problem arises with ITV HD, channel 4 HD and the SD channels like ITV4.

Yes I have auto-decryption set up but I am not sure what that has to do with it as the problem arises with ITV HD, channel 4 HD and the SD channels like ITV4.
Have a look at 'My Video ' using the WebIF.
What does the decryption icon look like? https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Icons
Do you have it set recursively?
Icon decryptr.png - Contained files and those in sub-folders will be automatically decrypted.
As mentioned in
Without that flag recordings in new folders won't be decrypted and so ad-detection won't be triggered.
It may be that decryption is set for the root folder only and you need to include the sub folders.
DetectAds only works on decryted files.

Last edited:
My mistake, I thought auto-decrypt was actually set on because soon after the end of a recording the ENC icon would mysteriously disappear.

I have now set the options as suggested on the My Video directory. I am expecting this was the cause of my problem all along. Thanks.

Yes I have auto-decryption set up
Just checking (sorry if you know this, but we don't know what you know or don't know, and this is also for the benefit of others):
1653556298546.png

You have to have recursive auto-decrypt selected on My Video to queue all recordings for decryption. Setting "Enable Auto-decrypt" on any particular folder (including My Video) only queues the recordings actually in that folder. If you're seeing the padlock icon without an arrow on it, you haven't set recursive (which means the current folder and the entire folder tree contained within).

Decryption won't work if the unit doesn't have either a live network connection or a loop-back plug in the Ethernet socket.

I am not sure what that has to do with it as the problem arises with ITV HD, channel 4 HD and the SD channels like ITV4.
What do you mean? Channels are irrelevant to decryption, and ad-detection needs recordings to be decrypted before they can be processed. According to your settings, it is completion of decryption which triggers detectads.

There is an alternative: the chase-decryption setting. This invokes a decrypt-while-recording-is-in-progress process, but it's pretty heavy on the machine.

The next piece in the jigsaw is the exclusion channels set up in the detectads settings. Non-commercial channels, and channels you don't care about, should be set in there.

Last edited:
Decryption won't work if the unit doesn't have either a live network connection or a loop-back plug in the Ethernet socket.
Oh. That's a problem. I don't have the unit connected to the internet all the time.

What's this loop-back plug thingy? Is this a physical plug or a software install?

Sorry, was writing post 12 before you posted 11. We've got out-of-phase.

My mistake, I thought auto-decrypt was actually set on because soon after the end of a recording the ENC icon would mysteriously disappear.
The "Enc" icon denotes that a recording is protected from sharing by rights management (and therefore from decryption). It's not an intuitive name because it has been inherited from the standard Humax icons. Enc is standard for HiDef recordings, but all recordings are encrypted (regardless of Enc).

The CF unprotect package removes the protection, and hence removes the Enc icon. That is not the same as decryption, and is a necessary prerequisite for decryption. When a recording has been decrypted, it will carry the "Dec" icon.

Last edited:
Oh. That's a problem. I don't have the unit connected to the internet all the time.

What's this loop-back plug thingy? Is this a physical plug or a software install?
Please see Decryption Guide (click):
Methods 4 & 6 imply a network is available. Methods 1, 2, & 3 require a network connection is present, despite there being no interaction with other network devices. In the absence of an existing network connection, this can be accomplished by inserting a loop-back plug* into the Ethernet socket on the rear of the HDR-FOX. Only method 5 does not interact with a network (or the Ethernet socket) at all. * For details see https://tikkiweb.net/1997/05/make-your-own-ethernet-loopback-connector/, or buy one off eBay.
NB: the Decryption Guide is linked from Things Every HDR-FOX Owner Should Know (click) section 5.

Last edited:
Back