DEVS length

MikeSh

This is odd. The DEVS episodes are listed in Radio Times as an hour, they are in the epg as an hour and they record as an hour.
But the programmes (possible except ep1) are actually about 45 minutes and the balance each time is a 15 min Inside the Hotel episode - so far.
The first time it happened I thought it was just a Covid19 cock-up, but it seems to be the norm.

Any idea what the BBC are thinking?

Not sure that they are thinking at the moment - set The Big Night In yesterday using RS. It was in the schedule on the Humax but did not record. Luckily I noticed and started it manually.
Seems to be a few funny things happening at the moment - I just hope it is the BBC mucking it up. I am just not used to having to monitor these things - RS and WebIf do all the 'thinking' for me
(or they have up to now).
Checked DEVS and same as you (45 mins + the Hotel thingy)

Any idea what the BBC are thinking?
I just hope it is the BBC mucking it up.
There does seem to be a lot of problems with the BBC at the moment. There's the one where the series link ends in the middle of a series and you have to be on the ball to catch it and reset the recording schedule. Then there is the one that really p's me off - I want to record a series on Radio 4 Extra, but only at the time I want it. It used to be the case that with programmes broadcast four times in a day the series link applied to the time you first set. Now it seems to record the first available one in the day for subsequent episodes. I don't want that as some *$%&er is switching something on/off between 06:00 and 06:30 and ruining the recording. I now have to resort to daily/weekly repeats. :mad:

The actual lengths of the episodes vary between 44m54 (ep.3) and 57m20 (ep.1). Variable lengths are common on streaming platforms but no doubt cause some problems to a non-commercial broadcaster that can't pad the space with adverts.

and they have changed the title to 'Devs' from 'DEVS' - as said elsewhere this should not make any difference to the scheduling but...

a non-commercial broadcaster that can't pad the space with adverts.
Fair point. But why not advertise and 'program' the padding? If it was in the schedules some people who don't watch DEVS might watch it. OTOH, most people watching DEVS will switch off/over/do something else when that ends and will miss the 'padding'.
It really makes no sense from where I'm watching (OK, the sofa :) ).

I would add that Pose and, I think, Fosse/Verdon both had episodes of wildly varying length on BBC.

All were recorded at the appropriate length without restort to padding with extraneous irrelevant material.

BBC Iplayer Downloaded file durations :-
Code:
Devs1 : Duration: 00:53:21.68
Devs2 : Duration: 00:47:56.48
Devs3 : Duration: 00:40:55.56
Devs4 : Duration: 00:43:39.76
Devs5 : Duration: 00:44:08.72
Devs6 : Duration: 00:49:06.40
Devs7 : Duration: 00:49:39.48
Devs8 : Duration: 00:48:12.96

Channels like Pick add 1-2 minutes worth of trailers to each commercial break to pad out short American programmes out to full hour length,
Unfortunately detectads can't crop them out.
The Beeb can only put the padding at start or end so it is more obvious.

Back