Disk Diagnostics Results table - Key?

Hi, folks,
After a long absence owing to a dead HDR T2 I have replaced it with a secondhand one from eBay which seems great. Having carried out all the basic tests suggested with positive results I have now installed CFW 3.13 and have done some further tests including Disk Diagnostics and also fixdisk.
I am having difficulty in assessing the results from Disk Diagnostics which appear OK but I get a yellow button asking me to acknowledge any current disk faults whoich reappears as soon as the table has refreshed following the acknowledgement. I attach below the attributes table:
There is no indication of whether thresholds should be below "Value" or "Worst". I have taken on board that line 190 should be ignored. Also how does Raw value translate to Value?
I did have one "imminent failure" warning on temperature but have solved that using "fan" minimum speed 50%. I believe that my old hummy may have died of overheating capacitors or other components.

I have not found an "idiot's guide" to the table results in the wiki - Does one exist? If not are any of the values in my table cause for concern?

I'd be grateful for some learned advce.

Many thanks
Ron

IDNameFlagsRaw ValueValueWorstThresholdLife LeftNotes
1Raw_Read_Error_RatePOSR--9144232105099006-
3Spin_Up_TimePO----0097097000-
4Start_Stop_Count-O--CK1463408608602083%-
5Reallocated_Sector_CtPO--CK0100100036100%-
7Seek_Error_RatePOSR--210892209083060030-
9Power_On_Hours-O--CK2321807407400074%-
10Spin_Retry_CountPO--C-0100100097100%-
12Power_Cycle_Count-O--CK731709309302092%-
184End-to-End_Error-O--CK0100100099-
187Reported_Uncorrect-O--CK0100100000-
188Command_Timeout-O--CK0100100000-
189High_Fly_Writes-O-RCK0100100000-
190Airflow_Temperature_Cel-O---K39061 (39°C)044 (56°C)045 (55°C)In_the_past
194Temperature_Celsius-O---K39039056000-
195Hardware_ECC_Recovered-O-RC-9144232048033000-
197Current_Pending_Sector-O--C-0100100000-
198Offline_Uncorrectable----C-0100100000-
199UDMA_CRC_Error_Count-OSRCK0200200000-
Self-test logs
No.DescriptionStatusRemainingWhenFirst Error LBA
# 1Short offlineCompleted without error00%23218-
# 2Short offlineCompleted without error00%23135-
# 3Short offlineCompleted without error00%23135-
# 4Short offlineCompleted without error00%23134-

Rendered in: 0.604 seconds

All you really need to worry about is "offline uncorrectable".
Not true.
I'd be grateful for some learned advce.
Nothing wrong with it at all, so I can't quite see why you should be getting a warning message.
If you know how, can you run this at a command prompt:
Code:
humax# sqlite3 /mod/etc/webif.db "select * from settings where name like 'SMART%' "

I have not found an "idiot's guide" to the table results in the wiki - Does one exist? If not are any of the values in my table cause for concern?
I would suggest the items of most significance are:

ID 5: Reallocated_Sector_Ct - a raw value of 0 is ideal but a value of several hundred is certainly acceptable but suggests you should be watching the rate at which sectors are reallocated. If the rate is a few per month it isn't an issue; if it is more than say 10 per day it suggests the drive will run out of sectors to reallocate within a few months and it may be time to order a new hard drive.

ID 197: Current_Pending_Sector and ID 198: Offline_Uncorrectable - if either of these has a value greater than zero then it indicates you need to run Fix-disk to try and correct the problem (which will often result in the Reallocated_Sector_Ct increasing).

Many thanks for your rapid responses.
Much of my confusion with the table relates to the 4 headings Raw Value through to Threshold. For example #5 shows 0 - 100 - 100 - 36: Martin indicates that RAW of 0 is ideal - great but what do the other three figures mean? Their headings imply to me that the value should not exceed 36 (Threshold) and that historically the worst was 100.
On the warning message point: When I was exploring the disk diagnostics and trying to persuade the acknowledgement box to stay greyed out (ie to confirm no disk faults) #194 came up in red with the comment of Danger of Imminent Failure. I panicked, switched off and allowed the machine to cool. After half an hour or so I powered up again, installed Fan and set minimum speed to 50%. The red alert was an isolated occurrence and, as I recall, the temperature had only reached a bit over 50C. I HAD done the paper over fan outlet test when I first checked the new box. I certainly don't notice the noise from the fan now so will leave it at minimum 50%, bearing in mind that I suspect the old box failed through overheating capacitors.
Do I presume that the command suggested by prpr is run from a prompt in a Telnet session accessed from web-if and what would I expect to see?
Many thanks again for your wisdom. At 78 I'm still not too old to learn 😃😁

The temperature will always go over-limit in a non-CF HDR-FOX - that's simply how the Humax version of "temperature regulation" works. As you said, fan cures that, but you can probably set it lower than 50% without issues - try 30%.

Much of my confusion with the table relates to the 4 headings Raw Value through to Threshold.
Those questions were asked years ago, when the disk smart stats were first made available, but I don't remember the answer. Do a forum or web search - see Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click).

Do I presume that the command suggested by prpr is run from a prompt in a Telnet session accessed from web-if
Yes - but only if you are really interested in tracking down the warning message.

Inspiredron said : #194 came up in red with the comment of Danger of Imminent Failure.
The Worst figure in #194 shows that your unit has never exceed 56 Deg C, this is completely normal and shows that the unit has never overheated, the standard Humax software turns the fan on at 55 Deg C so the fan has always done it's job correctly. I don't know when the Custom Firmware set #194 to red but it may be doing this at 55 Dec C and above, if this is the case then in my opinion it should not be doing this

Much of my confusion with the table relates to the 4 headings Raw Value through to Threshold. For example #5 shows 0 - 100 - 100 - 36: Martin indicates that RAW of 0 is ideal - great but what do the other three figures mean?
The column headed "Value" is a normalised value derived from the Raw Value with the intention that a higher value is better than a lower value (exactly how they are normalised varies between different manufactures). "Worst" is the lowest recorded normalised value. "Threshold" is an indicator of when the "Worst" value may become problematic. However experimental studies seem to indicate that drive failure isn't very well predicted by the normalised values. Personally I only look at the raw values.

The Worst figure in #194 shows that your unit has never exceed 56 Deg C, this is completely normal and shows that the unit has never overheated, the standard Humax software turns the fan on at 55 Deg C so the fan has always done it's job correctly.
A minor quibble, the Threshold value is set at 55 deg C so the hard drive has exceeded the manufacturers threshold temperature but I agree that is completely normal for a Humax running the standard firmware.

A minor quibble, the Threshold value is set at 55 deg C so the hard drive has exceeded the manufacturers threshold temperature but I agree that is completely normal for a Humax running the standard firmware.
The threshold comes from the drive manufacturer via the drive firmware. It varies depending on the installed disk. I don't know why the manufacturer has set the threshold so low for a PVR disk when the published specifications allow for much higher running temperatures.

Thank you all so much for the explanations. I had not realised that the CFW was merely looking at stats that are amassed by any HD in any device - I had assumed that they were something that you chaps had devised :rolleyes:.

I can now take great comfort from the fact that #4,5,9,10 and 12 all indcate that I have loads of life left in the HD - not that it is difficult to change anyway! I will probably ignore it now, apart from checking occasionally on #5 to see if I need to do a fixdisk.

I am inclined to leave fan running, more to keep the box cooler than specifically for the HD - I guess that the red alert that came up will be when the disk did hit 56C - which might have been relatively momentarily but I happened to interrogate at that time. It's easy enough to turn down if I or my wife do find that we can hear it. Would it help to improve airflow if i remove the plug for the decoder module?
Ron

It's easy enough to turn down if I or my wife do find that we can hear it.
Most people find somewhere in the 40-45% range to give sufficient cooling (maxing about 50°C) while being very quiet.
You can check the reported temperature (current and recent history) on a graphic in the CFW, though the package name escapes me - may be in the 'Diagnostics' blob.

Back